"Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" News and Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

ToonJay723

Staff member
New Ninja Turtles series premiering next year.

The third new series is Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (working title, 26 episodes), a 2D-animated reimagining of the global TMNT franchise. Slated for [2018], the series follows the famous half-shell heroes as they discover a magical new world beneath the streets of New York City.

So I assume the current show will end before then.

Last edited:

Greg91

Reporter
New Ninja Turtles series premiering this Autumn.

Oh my gosh! This is a new series? Finally, I can get back into TMNT now. Hopefully this one is really enjoyable and I'm happy to read its 2D. I'm not sure what they mean about the Turtles discovering a new world beneath NYC streets. Wouldn't the Turtles already live underground? Either way, I'm just happy to hear a new Turtles show is coming our way.

Frontier

Staff member
New Ninja Turtles series premiering this Autumn.

Well, that was quick :eek:!

I know it's a working title, but "Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" sounds like prequel/back to the beginning cartoon. Given the premise, I wonder if it's going to focus on younger versions of the Turtles exploring the underground of New York and the sewers o_O?

I guess I'm not surprised they're going back to traditional animation for the next TMNT series, though I hope the animation and style is still top-notch :).

rockorockorocko

Knew it. Great move by Nick to not stall the TMNT franchise but to reinvent and innovate it. It'll fit a lighter K2-11 tone, and I bet it'll be a regular on the network should it do decent in premiere ratings.

Greg91

Reporter
I've been reading a bit more and it sounds like this will be a more comedic adventure series with the Turtles exploring New York and different dimensions. If it's more aimed for younger viewers, I won't completely mind as long as it's good. Plus, I can still look back at the more mature takes on the Turtles if I want.

Interestingly, it seems to be coming in Fall 2018, not Fall 2017, because the current show's fifth season is still on its way.

I feel like this show will have a heavy use of Dimension X, plenty of other mutants, and less focus on ninjitsu and sticking to the shadows, which is not really what I'd like to see, but we'll see what happens. This development does remind me of Ultimate Spider-Man wrapping up its last season before Marvel's Spider-Man follows closely after it this summer.

kanc

Looks like I'm wrong that TMNT will not get reboot. Good that TMNT get a reboot after season 5 is done.. Merchandise is still popular though. Nickelodeon didn't even confirm season 5 could be the last, but we can hint it will be

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
I feel like this show will have a heavy use of Dimension X, plenty of other mutants, and less focus on ninjitsu and sticking to the shadows, which is not really what I'd like to see, but we'll see what happens. This development does remind me of Ultimate Spider-Man wrapping up its last season before Marvel's Spider-Man follows closely after it this summer.

Remeber when this series use to have a caporia fighter, I miss that

Frontier

Staff member
I've been reading a bit more and it sounds like this will be a more comedic adventure series with the Turtles exploring New York and different dimensions. If it's more aimed for younger viewers, I won't completely mind as long as it's good. Plus, I can still look back at the more mature takes on the Turtles if I want.

Interestingly, it seems to be coming in Fall 2018, not Fall 2017, because the current show's fifth season is still on its way.

The Turtles discovering their "hidden mystical abilities" reminds me a lot of the Ninja Tribunal arc. That's honestly the only part of the description that really stands out :sweat:.

Though between "new mutants" and "bizarre creatures," all of which 2K3 and 2K12 had in spades, I wonder where the Foot will fit into things o_O?

AnotherRandomGuy

The cat came back, he just couldn't stay away
When life closes a door it opens a window. It honestly shouldn't be that surprising to me honestly that they would make another series.

TMNT has held on to it's audience despite having most everything stacked against it.

Greg91

Reporter
Looks like I'm wrong that TMNT will not get reboot. Good that TMNT get a reboot after season 5 is done.. Merchandise is still popular though. Nickelodeon didn't even confirm season 5 could be the last, but we can hint it will be
I was expecting a new show once the rumors of the 2012 series ending started. The description makes it sound like it will be more comedic with more mutants and creatures which the 2012 series already had plenty of. I expected this to be a bit more grounded like the early episodes of the 2003 series or the first live-action movie. I've always preferred those takes on the Turtles. I guess they felt the 2012 series has become darker than it used to be.
Remeber when this series use to have a caporia fighter, I miss that
I'm not exactly sure what a capoeira fighter is.
The Turtles discovering their "hidden mystical abilities" reminds me a lot of the Ninja Tribunal arc. That's honestly the only part of the description that really stands out :sweat:.

Though between "new mutants" and "bizarre creatures," all of which 2K3 and 2K12 had in spades, I wonder where the Foot will fit into things o_O?
Yeah, the mystical abilities did remind me of the Ninja Tribunal from TMNT 2003, which is interesting. If they decided to borrow any elements from that series, why the Ninja Tribunal style mystic powers?

We did see plenty of bizarre creatures in the later seasons of the 2003 series like season four, but I liked how there wasn't an over-abundance of new mutants. The 2012 series seems over-brimming with mutants.

I am also curious about the Foot and any 'traditional' aspects of the Turtles lore like Splinter, Shredder, April and Casey. Pretty much every basic character from the Mirage comics. I would assume Splinter is in this, but the Turtles sound like they're going on their own adventure. I kind of hope Casey and April aren't teenagers this time around.

Greg91

Reporter
@Greg91 Xever's fighting style before he got mutated
Oh okay. That was sadly short-lived since he was only a human for the early episodes of season one. But it was cool to see Xever and Bradford go after the Turtles so much early in the 2012 series before they turned into Fishface and Dogpound (and then Dogpound mutated again).

Mandouga

"Reimagining"? Isn't that what this show (i.e., the one currently airing) is supposed to be? It turned out to just be a deconstruction (I'm sorry; maybe some of you don't agree, but to me it's clear that it is). Also, next year? That's a little early isn't it? Furthermore, "third" new series? Let's see, not counting Saban's "Next Mutation" series, we have:

TMNT (1987)
TMNT (2003)
TMNT (2012; i.e., the current)

...and now this new show. I'm pretty sure that makes the fourth new Ninja Turtle series.

Look, I don't know about everyone else, but personally I came to see a Ninja Turtle series, not a(n eventually) dark and edgy deconstruction that relies more on unnecessary running gags, and superficial (AND unnecessary; original comics or not*) "realism"*, melodrama, and tragedy intended to please certain groups of people in the spur-of-the-moment. In any case, I MAY give it a chance PROVIDED that it really is a new series, and NOT a continuation of this one after all (and that nobody's father [who isn't Splinter] gets mutated; again, I'm sorry).

*I'm aware of the nature of the original Mirage Studios comics from 1984, but that's ultimately irrelevant, where the current 2012 series is concerned. It's a deconstruction of the (prior to the 2012 series' premiere) 28 year franchise in general; that's the problem. Also, with all due respect, I don't think this word ("realism") means what some people think it means...

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
"Reimagining"? Isn't that what this show (i.e., the one currently airing) is supposed to be? It turned out to just be a deconstruction (I'm sorry; maybe some of you don't agree, but to me it's clear that it is). Also, next year? That's a little early isn't it? Furthermore, "third" new series? Let's see, not counting Saban's "Next Mutation" series, we have:

TMNT (1987)
TMNT (2003)
TMNT (2012; i.e., the current)

...and now this new show. I'm pretty sure that makes the fourth new Ninja Turtle series.

Look, I don't know about everyone else, but personally I came to see a Ninja Turtle series, not a(n eventually) dark and edgy deconstruction that relies more on unnecessary running gags, and superficial (AND unnecessary; original comics or not*) "realism"*, melodrama, and tragedy intended to please certain groups of people in the spur-of-the-moment. In any case, I MAY give it a chance PROVIDED that it really is a new series, and NOT a continuation of this one after all (and that nobody's father [who isn't Splinter] gets mutated; again, I'm sorry).

Dark and edgy I somewhat get but how is this series "realistic" or a "deconstruction"

Wonderwall

Staff member
Surprise! Okay not really, the rumor had been out and I actually knew about it for months which means Nick knew probably before I got( definitely ) got hired to work on it. I'm a little surprised they are relaunching so quickly but that means that season 5 should air without a hitch unlike previous seasons( especially season 4 ) which is good for me as it means I can use that stuff for my reel.

As for it being deconstructive...I don't know Ciro very well, but I know enough about him and the people who I do know that know him well will tell you that is not the intention whatsoever.

Greg91

Reporter
Surprise! Okay not really, the rumor had been out and I actually knew about it for months which means Nick knew probably before I got( definitely ) got hired to work on it. I'm a little surprised they are relaunching so quickly but that means that season 5 should air without a hitch unlike previous seasons( especially season 4 ) which is good for me as it means I can use that stuff for my reel.

As for it being deconstructive...I don't know Ciro very well, but I know enough about him and the people who I do know that know him well will tell you that is not the intention whatsoever.
Thanks for your work on the show. I might not have enjoyed it that much, but it's good to know you got to be a part of TMNT. I hope the new show brings me and other fans back to the property who felt left out of the Turtles.

Gatordragon

A jester is you!
Huh. Shame that I lost interest in TMNT months ago.
Smiley_ClunkNose.gif
Kinda crazy how quickly they're gonna reboot the franchise. I guess they're really itchin' to make that dinero.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I'm not too surprised that they'd want to make another TMNT series. I am surprised that they're making it so soon after the current series ends. I can understand that since they'd want to keep it relevant and get more toys on the shelves too, but it does feel a bit sudden.

I'm not sure if I'll get into this series. A part of me still wants to go through the other seasons of the 2012 series, but I just lost interest in it so much. The title and premise for this one definitely gives me a prequel impression, but it could just be misleading instead.

Muscle Wolf

I've enjoyed the newest series for the most part. I hadn't seen much of the current season due to crazy scheduling tho. And yes, I would prefer to see April and Casey as older. Also, I was never crazy about Mikey's role as the little brother.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.

Featured Posts