Does The Behaviour Of Some Adult Animation Fans Embarass You?

GrantM

Controversial topic I know but I think it deserves talking about, I'm referring to adults who get worked up over the likes of Teen Titans Go and Powerpuff Girls 2016, those who take cartoon shipping way too far, those who harass people who work on certain shows because their (pointless) headcannon was not made for real on the show, i.e anything The Mysterious MrEnter does, etc

JoeMabbon

The Warrior
"Adult animation fan" is such a broad designation that I'm able to distance myself from just about anything crazy that other fans do. I also feel so numb to craziness that it takes alot to even get my attention. At this point, harassment and death threats feel like occupation hazards for people working in any profession that puts them in the crosshairs of the internet.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
Oh, of course it does! Especially places like 4chan and 8chan and anything else of their ilk who whine about stuff... UGH.

Seriously, the people who do this are the real ones who need to grow up and change, not the people working on these things - they're the ones making a living for themselves andor putting themselves out there to "live the dream", if you will .

NOT all these complainers and whiners on the sites mentioned (for example), and ESPECIALLY NOT people like Enter.

After all... We (especially, ESPECIALLY as Americans & Canadians) need way more creators and much less critics at the helm, right about now. I say this because these words ring true the most of all:

"A man becomes a critic when he cannot be an artist, the same way that a man becomes an informer when he cannot be a soldier."

That goes for women, too.

Mr. Daniel

Back (but just occasionally)
poor behavior of adult animation fans summarizes almost the entirety of Tumblr.

Mikurotoro92

Banned
I am a young adult who watches some cartoons/anime & to be perfectly honest it does bother me when people take their love of something a little TOO far!

It's fine for them to like it I can understand why people watch these shows I mean they want to get away from all the depressing stuff on TV (after all that's why I choose to watch the cartoons/anime I grew up with) , but if all they are going to do is complain about it then maybe they don't deserve to watch any cartoons/anime & should go back to all the depressing graphic sex & violence-filled shows!

Even I don't constantly complain about a cartoon/anime like some people do

if I DO complain it's usually about something non-important like a flaw with a character's design or something but I would NEVER EVER issue a death threat to someone working on a show because I have enough morals to know that's wrong to do!

What is wrong with these people?!

THEY SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF THEMSELVES!

Last edited:

jaylop97

Staff member
That is why I would rather listen to what kids the intended audience have to say, adults i.e the parents always make shows go through some level of scrutiny, by doing ridiculous things to petition or just get in the way of the show.

Opinions are opinions and there are just people that really make it hard for fans of those shows because they want things their way and believe they are completely justified for doing so which is not appropriate, that in general bothers me.

Last edited:

Mikurotoro92

Banned
That is why I would rather listen to what kids the intended audience have to say

I agree but I'm sure parents complain about there graphic sex & violence-filled shows too

maybe parents should be banned from the internet which would solve a LOT of problems!

But let's be realistic:

that's NOT going to happen!

Instead I think a better more feasable solution for people who constantly complain about cartoons/anime & send death threats to the hard-working staff is to stop watching TV altogether & go outside or read a book or something because obviously they can't handle these fictional shows be it a cartoon/anime or a live-action graphic sex & violence-filled drama!

Same thing applies to people who constantly complain about video games & send death threats to the hard-working developers!

Last edited:

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
I agree but I'm sure parents complain about there graphic sex & violence-filled shows too maybe parents should be banned from the internet which would solve a LOT of problems!

But let's be realistic:that's NOT going to happen!

Instead I think a better more feasable solution for people who constantly complain about cartoons/anime & send death threats to the hard-working staff is to stop watching TV altogether & go outside or read a book or something because obviously they can't handle these fictional shows be it a cartoon/anime or a live-action graphic sex & violence-filled drama!

Same thing applies to people who constantly complain about video games & send death threats to the hard-working developers!
But then they'll start criticizing books or even NATURE : /

They should go back inside and start hand-knitting! FOREVER! Then they can only criticize themself!

JoeMabbon

The Warrior
I don't think the problem is complaining or criticism. I think the real issue is the wild irresponsibility engendered by the internet.

ToonLoon

In regards to superhero comedies, I think people get worked up about it because we are starving for good superhero action shows with actual funny moments in them, the kind that used to be commonplace.

If you could get both the dumb kid humor of a Go and a teen action dramedy version of Teen Titans with good writing on the same network, I doubt anybody would really be complaining much about the former. But since we only get one, people voice their displeasure with the choices made.

Gear3dGryph0n

This is really such a broad brush. Yes, there are people like Mr. Enter and his fanbase that think they can dictate to creatives, but there are also more fair and balanced people like Pieguyrulz and The Nostalgia Critic, et al. The community of animation fans is like every other community, you have freaks, geeks, shippers, and chronic complainers everywhere. Thankfully, though, they haven't completely drowned out voices of reason. It may be 2016 on the Internet, but that doesn't mean that everyone or every community is full of griping, emotional whiners.

Seriously, the people who do this are the real ones who need to grow up and change, not the people working on these things - they're the ones making a living for themselves andor putting themselves out there to "live the dream", if you will .

NOT all these complainers and whiners on the sites mentioned (for example), and ESPECIALLY NOT people like Enter.

After all... We (especially, ESPECIALLY as Americans & Canadians) need way more creators and much less critics at the helm, right about now. I say this because these words ring true the most of all:

"A man becomes a critic when he cannot be an artist, the same way that a man becomes an informer when he cannot be a soldier."

That goes for women, too.

Though I don't subscribe to the stereotype that all critics are failed artists, I like the can-do attitude behind it. If you want something done right, learn to do it yourself. I really feel that criticism, although not irrelevant coming from a mere student, means ten times more coming from a fellow creative than it does from the average Joe. They understand the work more and it's not just entertainment any more than it is craftsmanship to them.

Who said this?

Mike Shiner in the movie Birdman. You could have Googled it. :p

ToonLoon

The Nostalgia Critic is really the perfect example of how bad internet criticism can get. Find some old cartoon, scream and make faces about how dumb it is in nitpicky ways, ignoring the context in which it was made, and get clicks without much effort. And now he has many imitators.

I think genuine criticism from people who really care about the subject manner being discussed and clickbaity Youtubers who just need something to put out should not be put into the same category.

PinkieLopBun

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I wouldn't say I'm embarrassed by it, but yeah, some people take it too far. There's a fair amount of shows I hate myself, but instead of putting time and energy into hating on them, I focus more on shows I like. I'm not a shipper, and while I haven't seen shipping cause any problems myself, I do understand that there are people that can't handle a ship they don't like. As for harassing people that make the shows, that's just uncalled for. Just because they didn't do something you wanted or make a show you don't like doesn't mean they're a bad person.

PinkieLopBun

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts