"Mega Man: Fully Charged" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

MDawg

Nerfariously planning
A new Mega Man animated series will be showing up next year thanks to Dentsu Entertainment USA and DHX Media.
Dentsu Entertainment USA and DHX Media have struck a global deal to develop, co-produce, distribute and jointly manage licensing for the new Mega Man animated series which was originally announced last summer. Man of Action Entertainment (Ben 10, Generator Rex, Big Hero 6) is executive producing the series that’s based on the classic video game franchise.
The Mega Man animated series is set to air sometime in 2017, timed with the franchise’s 30th anniversary.
CjYaDEaUUAAq_sg.jpg

Between Man of Action working on it and the hideous character preview for MM, I'm not sure how interested I am in this. Capcom hasn't really been working in the best interest of the property either, so that makes me think expectations should be greatly lowered.

Frontier

Staff member
Why did he have to be Aki Light? Why not Rock? Though I guess it's nice to have some nod to the franchise's Japanese roots...though I wonder if this means Dr. Light will also be Japanese o_O?

I guess the Robot Masters will probably just be Mega Man's Rogues Gallery overseen by Wily, which isn't that different from the old cartoon :sweat:.

I don't think the redesign is that bad, honestly. It's not my favorite Mega Man design, but it still looks like Mega Man, and it's not as much of a departure as I was expecting. I'm not sure if that's faint praise or not :shrug:.

And Silicon City? Really :rolleyes:?

With what we've heard so far, and Man of Action's involvement as well as Capcom's track record, I doubt this will be as good or as strong a Mega Man adaption as the Archie comic was, but hopefully it'll prove me wrong if only because I want the Blue Bomber to have some success and presence again :(.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
If they had handed this to anyone but MoA (as in someone who cares about the games and Archie comics as much as we do...), this might have had a chance. This is looking to be another forgettable / easily bashed cartoon with a lot of haters (e.g. fans of the games and Archie comics, especially.) overall, in my book... This probably won't even be good enough to inspire YT parodies (which would actually be fun to watch!), sadly.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
I'm actually looking forward to this. Despite what people are saying I have loved all the shows Man of action made since Ben 10.

I'm glad this show hopefully won't have too many detractors. I'm just sorry I'm one of them - I'm just not a fan of MoA's work, overall (like you otherwise are...).

Mandouga

Does it matter? Besides, what's to say there will even be one at all? (besides, shouldn't it really be the other way around?)...

Anyway, one of the people involved responded on Twitter, basically giving everyone the generic "it may not be what you envisioned, but don't judge until you've seen it" PR response. I mean, how the good viewers (and players) "envision" it is irrelevant. We're talking about a(n almost) 30 year franchise here. This upcoming show clearly wants to pretend as though the previous franchise never existed (except when it doesn't). "Don't judge until you've seen it"? Isn't that what the people involved in the Jem movie said?...

Look, a show doesn't need to involve "real-life situations" (necessarily; it's a long story) in order for the characters to be "relatable" or "appealing" to the viewers. All that really does IMHO is try to tell certain (groups of) people what (the show's makers think) they want to hear. By (even possibly) making this another generic series about school life, this makes the whole Mega Man concept (let alone the franchise) nothing more than a glorified metaphor for what is otherwise just another "slice-of-life" series that could easily be done without it, (I'm looking at you, Kim Possible). Even Totally Spies isn't entirely about school life (even if that's what Clover is more focused on; but luckily, that's just an in-universe thing). It actually involves secret agent adventures without making them just a metaphor for the main characters' personal problems/issues/what have you.

I don't know about anyone else, but I was hoping for an actual show about Mega Man, not a(nother) glorified sitcom (or drama, or whatnot) that just happens to involve a recognizable character/franchise. Seriously, Man of Action, etc, what are/were you expecting everyone to think: that there is some sort of method to your madness? Really, though. Don't judge before we've seen it? Nice try, but that won't work (well, not on me, anyway)...

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
I was reading to find the My Life as a Teenage Robot (Mega Man edit) gag.

Well, there's always Mighty No. 9, until future development suggests otherwise.

JoeMabbon

The Warrior
Does it matter? Besides, what's to say there will even be one at all? (besides, shouldn't it really be the other way around?)...

It kinda does seeing as how this continuity is going to be the primary driver of the Mega Man franchise for at least the next couple of years. So if games get made, they'll involve this in some fashion. I would be shocked if there wasn't already a game of some kind in development.

Mandouga

Everyone knows that Capcom is sick of one of its own creations, so it's unlikely they would make such a game themselves, and even then, what's to say it wouldn't be a rush job, just to "get it out of the way"? As for bringing in a third party, it's more likely that they might just be left to their own devices, and as a result, possibly go their own way with it, making it even less like Mega Man than this show is clearly going to be (even if it's only a possibility). That's what I meant, when I said "does it matter". Not only that, but because Capcom is clearly sick of Mega Man, we can't know for certain if there will even be a game based on this show (even if it should really be the other way around). For all we know, it may just be this show, and that's it.

Nick Evans

Well I have a few hopes for the show. First off let me say that Megaman looks much better than he did in his Ruby-Spears and Captain N appearance.

I suspect that Megaman character will want to try to fit in with humanity but due to nativity he will have a few comedic moments. Hey its a kids show they need have too add in a few jokes and life lessons.

I suspect that this Mega Mini character will have a much more brash personality that will clash with Megamans good nature and lead into some good jokes. He will also act like a support guide in battle pointing out enemy weaknesses and strategies.

The big question is what their going to do with Roll. These days you can't have the main female be a girly maid character, it's sexist or something. So their either going to make her another fighting robot that helps Megaman or they could make her into a tomboy form school. If they go the tomboy route I suspect that she will deeply admire Megaman but think that his human secret identity is too wimpy, if she finds out that Aki is Megaman she will get her own power suit.

I honestly think that it's going to be a good show, the only way they could ruin it is if they try to take the Sonic Boom rout and make the action and villainous plots just another excuse to shop more comedy into the show. Fortunately Man of Action isn't known to do that they actually have good serious villains and a good amount of action for children show.

Mandouga

Nick Evans said:
Megaman looks much better than he did in his Ruby-Spears and Captain N appearance.

Even though the Ruby-Spears version is closer in appearance to what he really looks like?...*

Hey its a kids show

You know it, and I know it (in fact, I think most people do), but, "jokes and life lessons" notwithstanding (i.e., that's not the issue), that's no excuse for:

*adaptation decay
*being an in-name-only production
*being another generic slice-of-life series about school life with the superheroic fighting robot action ultimately just being both an accessory and a glorified metaphor. That, plus it could be done with any characters.
*deciding that (as TV Tropes would put it) the "viewers are morons"
*otherwise ignoring the fact that the franchise actually exists.

you can't have the main female be a girly maid character

Okay, so that's what she was originally created for, but whoever said that would be part of her actual personality? Furthermore, no one ever said she would "go the tomboy route", and what's to say they would go the Teela route with how she views him? I may or may not have heard something about a "secret identity", but if they do go this route, maybe she'll be let in on it, or maybe, just maybe, they won't go that direction at all, which I hope they don't because only Subaru Hoshikawa/Geo Stelar ever had a secret identity. In any case, I wouldn't mind at all if she was an "action girl", but again, that's not the issue.

Additionally, I'm kind of hoping they don't really put too much of a focus on the "life lessons" idea for two reasons:

1. The last time Man of Action did that, they basically implied that viewers don't know any better about respecting their limits, and felt they "had" to show what happens when you don't do as your told ("I'know you are [sorry for what you did, Ben], but my trust is something you'll have to earn back [before I can let you go off by yourself again]."), which isn't an entirely (repeat: entirely) fair thing to teach. After all, there's a difference between doing what you're told and blindly doing what you're told.

2. None of the games did that. They didn't need to. In fact, it was never even the point. Not that there's anything wrong with life lessons, but if they did that in this show, it would ultimately become insulting to the viewers' intelligence in this case. I repeat: I'm not saying that life lessons are a bad thing, they would just be inappropriate for this show. I'm not saying that the characters should be one-dimensional and/or not learn from their mistakes, I just don't think the show should (really) make it a focus (in this case).

the only way they could ruin it is if they try to take the Sonic Boom rout

Taking the "slice-of-life show about school life" route isn't the way to do it either. Just saying.

JoeMabbon

The Warrior
Everyone knows that Capcom is sick of one of its own creations, so it's unlikely they would make such a game themselves, and even then, what's to say it wouldn't be a rush job, just to "get it out of the way"? As for bringing in a third party, it's more likely that they might just be left to their own devices, and as a result, possibly go their own way with it, making it even less like Mega Man than this show is clearly going to be (even if it's only a possibility). That's what I meant, when I said "does it matter". Not only that, but because Capcom is clearly sick of Mega Man, we can't know for certain if there will even be a game based on this show (even if it should really be the other way around). For all we know, it may just be this show, and that's it.

If Capcom was truly that apathetic they wouldn't have bothered making a show at all. There's gonna be a tie-in game. It'll likely be made by someone else and be forgotten, but this show is meant put Mega Man back in the public eye. It'll probably be as successful as that Pac-Man thing, but there is some effort here. The reason why I think it matters is because this is the Mega Man we're gonna be stuck with for the next 2-3 years.

Mandouga

Not if it ends up being a failure (and by "it", I mean the project as a whole, regardless of whether a game gets made or not). Also, I'm not so sure this show is being created just to "put Mega Man back in the public eye", since the franchise as a whole never really left it in the first place. Indeed, with Mighty No.9 being a spiritual successor, Mega Man is actually more popular than ever. People have been asking for a new Mega Man game for some time now, but because Capcom is clearly sick of their own creation, that's not (likely) going to happen for quite some time one way or another.

In any event, the TV viewers and the video game players (age/"target demographic" [what they would say] notwithstanding) aren't dumb. Even if they don't see that this isn't Mega Man right away, they will eventually. In other words, this is the long run we're talking about here, yet this project is clearly more focused on the short term. Next year is the 30th anniversary, and people, no matter how old they are or how familiar with Mega Man they are are simply not going to ignore the fact that that's how long the franchise has existed. This show isn't an alternate universe/continuity (e.g., Battle Network), or an heir apparent of any kind (the aforementioned Mighty No. 9, which, while technically not a part of the series, has the virtue of Keiji Inafune being the original creator, and having a similar concept and gameplay), or anything like that, it's just another in-name-only "remake/reboot" that takes the same "slice-of-life story about school life" idea that's been done a "mega-million" times before (sorry, I had to), and will clearly reduce this (nearly) 30 year franchise to just a metaphor for that. In other words, a show that is very likely to (in trailers, and commercials, and stuff) claim to be one thing, but will really be something else.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, to me, they've shown through their past actions (including what may or may not have been the San Diego Comic-Con incident in 2011, but even then...) that they are "that" apathetic, but are doing this new project anyway. I mean, "actions speak louder than words" after all. Look, there's a lot going against this show, and while I do hope that everything I just said isn't the case, it just seems more likely that it will, but we'll see.

Tommy Lawson

Staff member
According to Nerdist, the cartoon will air on Disney XD, but since I see no other place saying that at the moment, I am skeptical of a network announcement at this point. The rest of the article is mostly things we've already heard about, "reimagining" and such.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Well, if this airs on XD, I suppose they would consider it a successor to that Pac-Man show. Hopefully Mega Man is leagues better, though.

SuperFan2024

Shoo fly.
It doesn't seem like a CN or Nick show.

You know, it could actually fit on CN, considering they only air toyetic action shows now such as Sonic Boom and Transformers, but my only fear is if they deathslot it, which they probably might do. Disney XD has a higher chance of giving it more respect and promotion.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts