"Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders (Batman '66)" Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
The Dynamic Duo are back with Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders, the upcoming animated movie based on the classic 1960s Batman TV series. Click here for more info and the film's trailer. Check out the cover art below!

Warner Bros. Animation and DC Entertainment take Batman fans on a journey into the iconic past with the full-length animated Batman feature film – Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders. The film features the vocal performances of Adam West (Batman), Burt Ward (Robin) and Julie Newmar (Catwoman). Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders will be available November 1, 2016 on Blu-ray™ Combo Pack ($24.98 SRP) and DVD ($19.98 SRP). Order due date is September 27, 2016.

Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders will be available to own on Digital HD starting October 11, 2016.

It’s back to the 1960s as Batman and Robin spring into action when Gotham City is threatened by a quartet of Batman’s most fiendish foes – Penguin, The Joker, Riddler and Catwoman. The four Super-Villains have combined their wicked talents to hatch a plot so nefarious that the Dynamic Duo will need to go to outer space (and back) to foil their arch enemies and restore order in Gotham City. It’s a truly fantastic adventure that will pit good against evil, good against good, evil against evil … and feature two words that exponentially raise the stakes for both sides: Replicator Ray. Holy Multiplication Tables!

Adam West steps behind the microphone to bring Batman to fully animated fruition. Burt Ward joins the fun as Batman’s sidekick, Robin, giving The Boy Wonder his voice in animated form. And Julie Newmar, star of stage (Tony Award winner for The Marriage-Go-Round) and screen (Seven Brides for Seven Brothers), dons her feline ears to bring Catwoman to life.

Stay tuned for further details!

Frontier

Staff member
Batman and Robin fighting the United Underworld on Earth and in space? Of course :D.

The animation style isn't what I was expecting but it looks solid, even if in the trailer some of the facial experessions feel like they could've been a little better o_O.

I'm really curious to see the staff for this, and the rest of the voice cast aside from West, Ward, and Newmar. Obviously the rest of the villains will have to get new voices, but there's also Alfred, Commissioner Gordon, Chief O'Hara, maybe even Aunt Harriet and Batgirl...I wonder if we'll see the United Underworld with any female molls as well :)?

GWOtaku

Staff member
Reporter
Now all of you listen up, the most important detail here is Batman and Robin spending time IN SPACE to fight crime. Take that! No limited budgets and sets keeping our camp down this time!

HOLY THROWBACKS, BATMAN. I hope they just don't care and go all in on the silliness of the old show.

Blue121

Can't wait! Curious about what, if any, retailer exclusives there will be.

This tickles my fancy. Can't wait to see more! I wonder if they'll get impressionist for Romero, Gorshin, and Meridith, or go with something different.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
Hyped for this!! Yes, West sounds his age, but it's still a joy to hear him back in the role.

Hopefully James Tucker was behind this.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Great to finally have this movie confirmed. Looks pretty cool, a nice throwback to the live-action show. I'm looking forward to the movie, I'm expecting it to be a fun adventure with some good action scenes, and some interesting puns and catchphrases.

ShadowStar

Hyped for this!! Yes, West sounds his age, but it's still a joy to hear him back in the role.

Hopefully James Tucker was behind this.

Chances are he was, and I suspect that other people who worked on Batman: The Brave and the Bold were involved too.

Bestmand902

It looks like Brave And The Bold to me...Which is by no means a bad thing, just not what I expected

Nexonius

Ten, count em', ten years!
According to James Tucker (on Facebook), he co-produced it and co-wrote it, with Rick Morales (who directed those Lego WB DC specials in recent years) is directing.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
According to James Tucker (on Facebook), he co-produced it and co-wrote it, with Rick Morales (who directed those Lego WB DC specials in recent years) is directing.
Where, on his account? Screen grab. Anything.

Last edited:

GWOtaku

Staff member
Reporter
Circumstantial, but on August 5 Tucker tweeted "Nothing better than getting some very nice looking priority animation on an upcoming movie to start the weekend off right!". I'm honestly unaware what "priority animation" is, but the most likely reference would be this right? The 2017 slate is a ways off.

I'd like to know on the Facebook thing myself, as I sure can't find it (not saying I don't believe it, I'm just bad at Facebook).

Last edited:

Ed Liu

Frog of Thunder
Staff member
Reporter
Huh. Did not see this coming. I'm pretty psyched to see how this works out, since Brave and the Bold demonstrated how you could make this cool, and I love how animation means that they can go with original casting even though none of the players involved would want/be able to reprise their roles (except maybe Julie Newmar), and (as GWOtaku pointed out) how they can go gonzo with stuff they'd never have been able to afford back in 1966.

This tickles my fancy. Can't wait to see more! I wonder if they'll get impressionist for Romero, Gorshin, and Meridith, or go with something different.

I think the real question is WHICH impressionist will they go for those roles. You can't do this project without incorporating the Cesar Romero Joker, at least, and it'd be lunacy to give us a Cesar Romero Joker that didn't sound like Cesar Romero or a Burgess Meredith Penguin that didn't sound like Burgess Meredith. The fact that they don't name him in the trailer suggests to me that they didn't get John Astin to reprise his short stint as the Riddler, but I'm OK with that. Frank Gorshin was a far more definitive performance in my eye. And THAT said, I don't think he's the right actor for it, but it would be amusing to me if they cast Sean Astin doing a Frank Gorshin Riddler as a roundabout way to cover both those bases ;).

Either way, sign me up! This looks like fun. And maybe it means we get another chance at guest stars (and Special Guest Villainess) at this year's NY Comic Con. I'm still sad that a scheduling conflict meant I never got to attend the NYCC Adam West press conference in 2014 and ask him to participate in the Batusi Project.

Frontier

Staff member
I think if they're going for a '66/Romero Joker, Jeff Bennett would probably be the most likely choice to play Joker in this movie after his perfromance Brave and the Bold :).

And, given how much his performance was inspired by Meredith's Penguin, I could see Tom Kenney reprising Penguin for this, maybe just toning down how high-pitched his Penguin voice is :sweat:.

Riddler is going to be tough, because of how iconic and powerful Gorshin's performance is, though off the to of my head I'd be down for seeing either Wally Wingert or even John Glover being brought back to just go full-on Gorshin with their Riddler performances :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts