"Hey Arnold" TV movie in development (for real this time!)

MDawg

Nerfariously planning
https://variety.com/2015/tv/news/hey-arnold-tv-movie-nickelodeon-reviving-shows-1201646666/

News popped up today. They're going to be doing the long-fabled "Jungle Movie" going by the article. No date for airing has been announced. I knew the show had a base, but I'm surprised it was that strong to get this project moving especially after all this time.

The TV movie will feature a storyline that picks up where the original series ended and resolves unanswered plotlines–including the whereabouts of Arnold’s parents, long missing from the program. Executives at the network declined to offer a specific date for when the new content might be ready or air.

Light Lucario

Staff member
That's really cool news. I figured that the revival would be a TV movie. Considering that they wanted to do that Jungle Movie before, I thought that they would try to do it with a revival. I'm glad that they'll be able to do it after all these years. It should be interesting to see when it will be ready to air and how they promote it too.

Trombone77

Wow, that's pretty amazing. I wish Barlett and his crew all the best in this endeavor. Now, the question is, how will Nick market this movie? It seems likely that it should be a family movie, but Nick will probably spin it towards kids. If that's the case, would Nick be willing to air Hey Arnold! episodes on the main network to hype up the movie?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaylop97

Staff member
I'm still a little doubtful, about the movie as let's not forget a few months ago they claimed a Crossover Movie was in the works, but was false, and this movie has been proven true a long time ago, however evidence was still scare, all I'm trying to say is I just hope a date does pop up, and I would take their word, with no question.

Personally I want to see a new Arnold continuation in anyway of course being official, As this movie Itself can't wait to hear more from It as It would be nice to see what the writers have in store for Arnold and friends.

I'm still a little doubtful, about the movie as let's not forget a few months ago they claimed a Crossover Movie was in the works, but was false, and this movie has been proven true a long time ago, however evidence was still scare, all I'm trying to say is I just hope a date does pop up, and I would take their word, with no question.

Personally I want to see a new Arnold continuation in anyway of course being official, As this movie Itself can't wait to hear more from It as It would be nice to see what the writers have in store for Arnold and friends.
Actually, I think it's true. I have the official Nickelodeon page liked in Facebook and they linked that page.

Light Lucario

Staff member

I think that the Variety is a reliable source. I think that the creator of Hey Arnold has also mentioned something about a revival on his Facebook page and that an earlier article on how Nickelodeon was planning to revive their older shows was basically the announcement for a Hey Arnold revival. Besides that, the crossover movie was painfully fake and dubious at best. The idea of the Jungle Movie finally being made sounds at least a bit more plausible than a full crossover movie.

Zeether

HASSHA!!
Craig has linked the article so it's definitely a valid thing that's happening. I'm obviously very stoked, but also a little nervous because we've never really known much about how the movie was to play out in its original incarnation, and it's been stated that it's basically being wiped clean in terms of that so it's going to be interesting to see how everything plays out.

There's been speculation on how Arnold's parents were able to be alive for 9 years and still missing but of course that is probably going to be explained away in some fashion...

Dr.Pepper

How exactly are they going to market this? The show hasn't been on in years (or has it?). Would the target audience of Nick be familiar with it?

Dudley

Staff member
Despite sources, I still have a "I'll believe it when I see it" stance, as I've learned from asking around about the fake Nicktoons movie is that nothing in development is ever truly guaranteed until we get a release date.

As for concerns about how it'll be marketed...just quietly bring the show back to the schedule. They're already airing it on The Splat. Next is to give it a regular slot on Nicktoons, and then advertise the show's 20th anniversary next year by having Nick run marathons and have an airing of the movie.
In fact, I guess next year is when the special might come out next year.

Last edited:

StorytellerMJ5

As for concerns about how it'll be marketed...just quietly bring the show back to the schedule. They're already airing it on The Splat. Next is to give it a regular slot on Nicktoons, and then advertise the show's 20th anniversary next year by having Nick run marathons and have an airing of the movie.

As good as that sounds, I have a hard time believing Nickelodeon would do any of this. They barely air any animation on the main channel, besides SpongeBob, Alvin and the Nick Jr. stuff. I just can't imagine them putting Hey Arnold on the schedule, even if there is a new movie coming out. But, maybe I'd be wrong. I'd actually like to be wrong.

ToonJay723

Staff member
This is a nice surprise. I'm glad we're getting a final conclusion to the show.

About getting Nick's current target audience into it, honestly, I think Nick would just air the movie without worring if their target audience have seen it.

When Korra aired, they didn't rerun Avatar to get kids familiar with the franchise.

Light Lucario

Staff member
How exactly are they going to market this? The show hasn't been on in years (or has it?). Would the target audience of Nick be familiar with it?

The show has been airing on The Splat and it has been available via On Demand in their Nick Rewind section for quite some time. They might just throw a few more airings of it on Nicktoons and/or Nickelodeon. It might also depend on what channel it premieres on.

Despite sources, I still have a "I'll believe it when I see it" stance, as I've learned from asking around about the fake Nicktoons movie is that nothing in development is ever truly guaranteed until we get a release date.

This is way more credible than the Nicktoons crossover movie though. Craig linked the article on his Facebook page, so I think that should make it clear that this is actually happening.

This is a nice surprise. I'm glad we're getting a final conclusion to the show.

About getting Nick's current target audience into it, honestly, I think Nick would just air the movie without worring if their target audience have seen it.

When Korra aired, they didn't rerun Avatar to get kids familiar with the franchise.

That's true, but Avatar: The Last Airbender wasn't that old when Korra premiered. Hey Arnold is a much older series that hasn't been on the main Nickelodeon channel for ages, so they might want to introduce it more to the target audience. Although, it's possible that this is going to be made with just older fans in mind, especially since this seems to be resolving plots like where Arnold's parents are that would be more appealing to long time fans. That could mean that this will air on The Splat instead of Nickelodeon proper.

Mr. Daniel

Back (but just occasionally)
Personally, I am excited if the Hey Arnold movie is actually going to happen. But I just feel it's too little too late. It has been 10+ years since the show ended. But anyways, I hope this happens. It would win back old fans and make new fans of the show too!

Last edited:

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Wow, I wasn't expecting this at all! :)

I'm sure the Dutch version of this movie will have new voice actors, which is good because the old voices were horrible. (seriously one of the worst Dutch dubs ever)
That's true, but Avatar: The Last Airbender wasn't that old when Korra premiered. Hey Arnold is a much older series that hasn't been on the main Nickelodeon channel for ages, so they might want to introduce it more to the target audience.
Is there anything important the target audience needs to know? Arnorld is searching for his parents and Helga is secretly in love with him (and Arnold knows that), that's everything they need to know, and the (new?) writers will definitely make that clear at the beginning of the movie.

Ghostbuster

Team Wolf Brothers!
Nick's issued a press release confirming the news. :)

The Variety article also mentions that Nick is also looking to bring back other classic shows, including ones currently owned by other companies, such as Doug.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
The Variety article also mentions that Nick is also looking to bring back other classic shows, including ones currently owned by other companies, such as Doug.
Slovak Toonzoners are going to love this :D
There must be some high school cliché they forgot to use in the TV series : P

Light Lucario

Staff member
Personally, I am excited if the Hey Arnold movie is actually going to happen. But I just feel it's too little too late. It has been 10+ since the show ended. But anyways, I hope this happens. It would win back old fans and make new fans of the show too!

To be fair, there wasn't an opportunity for them to do this movie after the Hey Arnold movie didn't do that well in theaters. If that movie had done well, they probably would have been able to at least to a TV movie to send off the series. They're able to do this now most likely due to the nostalgia factor shows like Hey Arnold have. Fans who watched the show when it was airing are adults and there is a market for nostalgia among older fans nowadays for a lot of shows.

Is there anything important the target audience needs to know? Arnorld is searching for his parents and Helga is secretly in love with him (and Arnold knows that), that's everything they need to know, and the (new?) writers will definitely make that clear at the beginning of the movie.

Well, it might be harder for new viewers to really be invested in something like this if they've never seen Hey Arnold before. It would depend on what the exact storyline for the movie is going to be though.

Pac-Attack

Funny since I was watching "The Journal" a couple weeks back since I got the DVD set.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts