General International TV Channels Thread

alfa_alfa

Do you remember Musicmax Romania? It was one of my favourite channels growing up and now I can't find any information about it. I kind of remember that it was axed for A+/Animax, but I didn't really care for anime at that time of my life.

Yes, I remeber it very clearly. MusicMax was launched in 2001. It shared air time with Minimax in Romania, from 20 to 06, GMT+2.

logo.gif

In October 2003, it was launched another feed, which shared air time with Action+ România. It was called MusicMax / Action+ România. MusicMax aired between 02-19 or 20, Action+ from 19 or 20-02. At that time, MusicMax continued to broadcast from 20 to 06 on Minimax România's frequency.

It was rebranded as Cherry Music in 2004.

231-Cherry-Music.jpg

However, since the rebranding of Action+ România in Animé+ România, and of Cool TV Magyarország (After that, Cool immediately launched as a separate 24/7 channel, which still exists) in Animé+ Magyarország (December 2004), Cherry Music broadcasted 24/7 until April 2005. Some providers carried Cherry Music instead of Animé+, like RCS & RDS. It didn't last long, in December 2005 it was replaced with Animé+.

Since April 2005, it shared air time with Super 1, an adult channel. Cherry Music then started to broadcast from 05-24 GMT+2.

In December 2005, it changed it name in Super 1 Music (Interactive).

super1music.jpg

In 2007, MusicMax returned and replaced Super 1 Music. Also, MusicMax Adult replaced Super 1.

musicmax.jpg

However, this name didn't last for long because on the 1st of July 2009, it was rebranded as MusicMix. SuperOne replaced MusicMax Adult. From 2011, it started to broadcast in widescreen format.

music_mix.png

In March 2015, the channel closed for good. I would say it merged with Sláger TV, because now the MusicMix's website redirects to Sláger TV's website. They both have the same owner, Tematic Media Group.

After its closure, some providers replaced this channel with Paramount Channel România & Magyarország, since Tematic Media Group also represents Viacom channels in Romania and Hungary.

Last edited:

GMIKI96

I quit
Yes, I remeber it very clearly. MusicMax was launched in 2001. It shared air time with Minimax in Romania, from 20 to 06, GMT+2.

logo.gif

In October 2003, it was launched another feed, which shared air time with Action+ România. It was called MusicMax / Action+ România. MusicMax aired between 02-19 or 20, Action+ from 19 or 20-02. At that time, MusicMax continued to broadcast from 20 to 06 on Minimax România's frequency.

It was rebranded as Cherry Music in 2004.

231-Cherry-Music.jpg

However, since the rebranding of Action+ România in Animé+ România, and of Cool TV Magyarország (After that, Cool immediately launched as a separate 24/7 channel, which still exists) in Animé+ Magyarország (December 2004), Cherry Music broadcasted 24/7 until April 2005. Some providers carried Cherry Music instead of Animé+, like RCS & RDS. It didn't last long, in December 2005 it was replaced with Animé+.

Since April 2005, it shared air time with Super 1, an adult channel. Cherry Music then started to broadcast from 05-24 GMT+2.

In December 2005, it changed it name in Super 1 Music (Interactive).

super1music.jpg

In 2007, MusicMax returned and replaced Super 1 Music. Also, MusicMax Adult replaced Super 1.

musicmax.jpg

However, this name didn't last for long because on the 1st of July 2009, it was rebranded as MusicMix. SuperOne replaced MusicMax Adult. From 2011, it started to broadcast in widescreen format.

music_mix.png

In March 2015, the channel closed for good. I would say it merged with Sláger TV, because now the MusicMix's website redirects to Sláger TV's website. They both have the same owner, Tematic Media Group.

After its closure, some providers replaced this channel with Paramount Channel România & Magyarország, since Tematic Media Group also represents Viacom channels in Romania and Hungary.
I barely remember Musicmax, thanks for the info. And I certainly didn't know, that Tematic represented Viacom channels

alfa_alfa

Since 2013, Tematic Media Group, which owns The Fishing & Hunting Channel (Ex-PV TV), Sláger TV, SportKlub Magyarország and DoQ, distributes channels from Viacom and AMC Networks International (Ex-Chellomedia) in Romania and Hungary.

I think that's why DIGI now carries MTV Europe, VH-1 Europe, VIVA Magyarország, Comedy Central Magyarország, Nickelodeon Europe and Paramount Channel România & Magyarország. :D Same in Romania, but without VIVA Magyarország, MTV Europe and Comedy Central Magyarország; We have Comedy Central Extra instead, subtitled in Romanian and Hungarian.

GMIKI96

I quit
Since 2013, Tematic Media Group, which owns The Fishing & Hunting Channel (Ex-PV TV), Sláger TV, SportKlub Magyarország and DoQ, distributes channels from Viacom and AMC Networks International (Ex-Chellomedia).

I think that's why DIGI now carries MTV Europe, VH-1 Europe, VIVA Magyarország, Comedy Central Magyarország, Nickelodeon Europe and Paramount Channel România & Magyarország. :D Same in Romania, but without VIVA Magyarország, MTV Europe and Comedy Central Magyarország; We have Comedy Central Extra instead, subtitled in Romanian and Hungarian.
I've read somewhere, that CC Hungary is now "allowed" to broadcast in Romania, so it's either the Hungarian version in a Hungarian package, the feed becoming shared, like Paramount Channel (unlikely, since CC has a lot of local content), or just a separate Romanian feed (which is a shame, that it still doesn't exist)

alfa_alfa

I've read somewhere, that CC Hungary is now "allowed" to broadcast in Romania, so it's either the Hungarian version in a Hungarian package, the feed becoming shared, like Paramount Channel (unlikely, since CC has a lot of local content), or just a separate Romanian feed (which is a shame, that it still doesn't exist)

Yeah, i've read too, but i checked the license on RRTV's site (an Czech version of U.K.'s Ofcom, or of Hungary's NMHH, or Romania's CNA) and i think that it will be like Paramount Channel. It will also expand in Slovakia too.

http://www.rrtv.cz/cz/files/lic/1796027.pdf

Fun fact: In Bucharest on DIGI cable (a.k.a. RCS & RDS), i receive Duna, M2 / M2 Petőfi, ATV and Sláger TV without being subscribed to the Hungarian package. :D I've also received Story 4 and Music Channel Magyarország, until 2012-2013.

Here in Bucharest at RCS & RDS (Or DIGI TV), the Hungarian package isn't available. It's available only in Transylvania and Banat for free and it includes 19 channels (Or 20 with C8 Magyarország - We don't have C8 România :confused: It isn't carried by DIGI, Telekom, UPC and Orange). Meanwhile, at UPC, the Hungarian package is available everywhere for ~1€ and it includes 18 channels.

http://www.upc.ro/televiziune/canale-tv/pachete-suplimentare/panonia/

Last edited:

GMIKI96

I quit
Yeah, i've read too, but i checked the license on RRTV's site (an Czech version of U.K.'s Ofcom, or of Hungary's NMHH, or Romania's CNA) and it think that it will be like Paramount Channel. It will also expand in Slovakia too.

http://www.rrtv.cz/cz/files/lic/1796027.pdf

Fun fact: In Bucharest on DIGI cable (a.k.a. RCS & RDS), I receive Duna, M2 / M2 Petőfi, ATV and Sláger TV without being subscribed to the Hungarian package. :D I've also received Story 4 and Music Channel Magyarország, until 2012-2013.

Here in Bucharest, at RCS & RDS (Or DIGI TV), the Hungarian package isn't available. It's available only in Transylvania and Banat. Meanwhile, at UPC, the Hungarian package is available everywhere for ~1€ and it includes 18 channels.

http://www.upc.ro/televiziune/canale-tv/pachete-suplimentare/panonia/
I have DIGI cable, and I only have ProTV International :D On satellite, H!T RO, Music Channel RO, and UTV are also available. Music Channel RO is also available on UPC Direct (Focus Sat, or FreeSat)

alfa_alfa

Indeed, on DIGI TV satellite package, H!T Music Channel Magyarország, Muzsika TV, RTL Klub HD, TV 2 HD, DIGI World HD Magyarország, M1 HD and M2 / M2 Petőfi HD are also available; On cable they're not available.

alfa_alfa

Snapshots of TCM România & Polska:

Before 1st of September 2015:

vlcsnap-2015-09-07-11h02m25s953.png

After 1st of September 2015:

vlcsnap-2015-09-10-10h28m40s187.png

The subtitle font is very ugly and too small. :eek:

Last edited:

alfa_alfa

Is that the old logo? Wow

Yes, the difference between this logo and the first one (2000-2009) is that under the new logo, it is written 'Turner Classic Movies', but no one can read it because the picture quality is low.

Also, Paramount Channel România & Magyarország has a big logo since August 2015. The idents changed too.

Before 18th of August 2015:

vlcsnap-2015-09-10-10h46m30s453.png

After 18th of August 2015:

vlcsnap-2015-09-10-10h44m47s843.png

Last edited:

GMIKI96

I quit
Yes, the difference between this logo and the first one (2000-2009) is that under the new logo, it is written 'Turner Classic Movies', but no one can read it because the picture quality is low.
I wonder why did Turner switch the logo, months before rebranding to TNT. I'm almost sorry for TCM exiting Hungary in April, but it wasn't even localized, so, whatever :D

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
I have DIGI cable, and I only have ProTV International :D On satellite, H!T RO, Music Channel RO, and UTV are also available. Music Channel RO is also available on UPC Direct (Focus Sat, or FreeSat)
NOS, my provider, has TVR International, the state channel. Other providers have ProTV International (MEO and Vodafone).

How's your local "Masha" dub? I don't know, I don't really like this show. 3D graphics are creepy and the characters are very annoying. But the show is huge. I just discovered that one episode has, like 700 million views on YouTube
I don't know. It's mostly a non-verbal cartoon. I've seen "Easter eggs with a surprise inside" from an Italian company at a Continente supermarket in April, yet we still know the show.

I wonder when will RTP (not SIC) change their mentality and air "Wolf and Hare". They aired Kikoriki (a second dub) based on the Russian visuals a couple years back and with all the Russian text intact.

Last edited:

alfa_alfa

Here in Romania i don't receive TVR Internaţional since January 2005, when it was replaced with Rai 1.

Foreign channels in Bucharest at DIGI cable Romania: BBC Entertainment Europe (with subtitles in Hungarian and Romanian), CNN International Europe, Duna, TV5 Monde Europe (with subtitles in Romanian, English and French), Rai 1, Rai 3, RTL Television Deutschland (with subtitles in German, also with TeleText), ProSieben Deutschland, BBC World News, Fashion TV Europe, Super RTL Österreich & Schweiz (with TeleText) and CCTV News.

M2 / M2 Petőfi, ATV and Sláger TV are available too, but not on the receivers with the latest software version. They're deleted after the scan. TVs with DVB-C tuner can receive these 3 channels. Only M2 / M2 Petőfi has TeleText and subtitles in Hungarian.

Last edited:

GMIKI96

I quit
Here in Romania i don't receive TVR Internaţional since January 2005, when it was replaced with Rai 1.

Foreign channel at DIGI cable Romania: BBC Entertainment Europe (with subtitles in Hungarian and Romanian), CNN International Europe, Duna, TV5 Monde Europe (with subtitles in Romanian, English and French), Rai 1, Rai 3, RTL Television Deutschland (with subtitles in German, also with TeleText), ProSieben Deutschland, BBC World News, Fashion TV Europe, Super RTL Österreich & Schweiz (with TeleText) and CCTV News.

M2 / M2 Petőfi, ATV and Sláger TV are available too, but not on the receivers with the latest software version. They're deleted after the scan. TV with DVB-C tuner can receive these 3 channels. Only M2 / M2 Petőfi has TeleText and subtitles in Hungarian.
The international channels, I receive are:
ProTV International
RTL
Deutsche Welle
SAT1
Pro7
Rai Uno
CCTV4
TV5 Monde
ARTE
TVE
Sky News International
CNN International
Bloomberg TV

alfa_alfa

The international channels, I receive are:
ProTV International
RTL
Deutsche Welle
SAT1
Pro7
Rai Uno
CCTV4
TV5 Monde
ARTE
TVE
Sky News International
CNN International
Bloomberg TV

DIGI never carried in Romania Pro TV Internaţional, SAT.1, CCTV 4, arte, Sky News International.

Deutsche Welle TV Europa was dropped off in February 2012, Bloomberg Television Europe was dropped off in November 2012, TVE Internacional Europa was illegally broadcasted, without a contract with RTVE and pulled off from the offerings in March-April 2010.

They paid a fine (10000 RON, namely €40736) in March 2010 for broadcasting illegally France 2, France 24 in English, France 3, Italia 1, Canale 5, BBC Entertainment Europe, TVE Internacional Europa, Deutsche Welle TV Europa, Bloomberg Television Europe and Music Channel Magyarország.

However, they succeeded in signing a contract with Bloomberg and Deutsche Welle and these 2 channels remained in the digital packages until 2012. Music Channel Magyarország was never dropped since it was DIGI's channel. :D In November 2012 it was dropped too.

BBC Entertainment Europe replaced Animal Planet România on the 30th of November, 2012. Also, on the 9th of January 2013, BBC Knowledge (Now BBC Earth) arrived.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Foreign channels that I get:
-TVE Internacional
-Galicia TV Europa (this is literally their name)
-Cubavisión Internacional
-VTV (state channel from Venezuela)
-Telesur (channel funded by various Latin American governments)
-M6
-TV5MONDE
-arte (French audio)
-RTL
-DW-TV (basically it's more of a news channel)
-1+1 International
-RTR-Planeta
-CCTV 4
-TVR International
-BNT World
-Phoenix CNE
-KBS World HD

There are also a few pay channels aimed at South Asians: Zee TV, SET Asia and Sony MAX, all of them being the UK versions. Zee TV used to be limited to the Lisbon/Setúbal area until 2007.

I used to get Rai 1 (until April 1, 2011, it was replaced by Rai News 24, I used to watch L'eredità there), Inter+ (removed due to unknown circumstances), Russia 24 (see Inter+ who fell down the cliff of public indifference), and in the past, they had SAT.1 (until 1996) and Rai 2 (until 2001).

NOS Madeira subscribers get Rai 1, Rai 2, ARD, ZDF, SAT.1, Prosieben and a mysterious "VIVA" which I assume is not the current "Nickelodeon/Nicknight DE". They also used to have Sport 1 (the former DSF), which TV Cabo in the mainland had until 2003 when it was removed due to rights issues.

alfa_alfa

Wow, I am surprised to see that M6 is still transmited outside France and Switzerland! :)

In Romania, UPC carried it until the 24th of March 2015, when it was removed due to "rights issues". UPC said that "the rights for the shows and programs broadcasted by this channel were restrcited to the French terriory". In other words, UPC România lied... :(

In the last year, UPC România got rid of many channels: MTV România, M6 Suisse, BBC Entertainment Europe, Россия 24, BBC World News, Duck TV and Sport Klub Magyarország.

GMIKI96

I quit
I also receive BBC Entertainment (one of the only channels that is only subtitled in Hungarian, and it has been like this since it was BBC Prime), and BBC Earth (dubbed, but in the early days of "Knowledge", it was subtitle-only)

alfa_alfa

BBC Entertainment is subtitled in Romanian since spring 2004. Between 2010-December 2012 or January 2013, the Romanian subtitle was defunct.

I receive this channel since the disappearance of Discovery channels. I remember it replaced Animal Planet România. The others weren't replaced, apart from Discovery Channel România which was replaced with a duplicate of History Europe. One of the Historys was replaced with DIGI Animal World after a week.

The expansion of History in Romania led to the launch of History România, which basically has the same schedule as History Europe, but the shows are aired one hour before the European version; It also has Romanian ads and promos. Another difference may be "Fifth Gear", which is broadcasted by the Romanian version.

Last edited:

GMIKI96

I quit
BBC Entertainment is subtitled in Romanian since spring 2004. Between 2010-December 2012 or January 2013, the Romanian subtitle was defunct.

I receive this channel since the disappearance of Discovery channels. I remember it replaced Animal Planet România. The others weren't replaced, apart from Discovery Channel România which was replaced with a duplicate of History Europe. One of the Historys was replaced with DIGI Animal World after a week.
Yeah, we got Digi documentary channels in place of Discovery channels. Digi Animal World is the only shared feed. And History is here too

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts