"Justice League: Gods and Monsters" Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

"Justice League: Gods and Monsters" - Discuss and Rate this Movie!

• Total voters

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
From dark heroes, justice will dawn! Discuss the latest animated feature from the DC Universe Animated Original Movie line!

Justice League: Gods and Monsters
Studio: Warner Bros. Animation, DC Comics
Release Date: Digital - July 14th, 2015; Home Video - July 28th, 2015

Synopsis: Witness a divergent reality where the Justice League protects the planet ... but answers to no one but themselves. Employing methods of intimidation and fear, this Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman deal brute force in the name of justice. From the creative genius of executive producer Bruce Timm and co-producer Alan Burnett comes an original story where the world's greatest triumvirate of super heroes has distinctly different origins. Superman was not raised by the Kents in Smallville, the Caped Crusader is not Bruce Wayne, and Wonder Woman is not an Amazon warrior of Themyscira. They are as likely the world's saviors as Earth's despotic rulers. When a group of famed scientists experience untimely "accidents," a government task force follows the trail of clues to the Justice League ... but is there a more powerful player operating from the shadows? It's a high stakes game of intrigue, mystery and action that asks the question: How do you serve justice to those above the law?

With a twist on your favorite Justice League characters, this film is full of thrilling new adventures and jam-packed with a celebrity voice cast which includes Michael C. Hall (Dexter) as Batman, Benjamin Bratt (Law & Order, 24) as Superman, Tamara Taylor (Bones) as Wonder Woman, Paget Brewster (Criminal Minds) as Lois Lane, Jason Isaacs (Harry Potter films, Dig) as Lex Luthor and C. Thomas Howell (E.T., Southland) as Dr. Will Magnus. Sam Liu (Batman: Year One) directed Justice League: Gods & Monsters from an original story by Bruce Timm (Batman: The Dark Knight Returns) and Co-Producer Alan Burnett (The Batman), who also wrote the screenplay. Executive Producers are Sam Register and Bruce Timm. Benjamin Melniker and Michael Uslan are Co-Executive Producers.

Comments and thoughts? Discuss the Justice League: Gods and Monsters animated feature in this thread!

Discussion for content found on the Digital/Blu-ray/DVD release of Justice League: Gods and Monsters can be found in the proper talkback linked below.

Related Threads:
-Justice League: Gods and Monsters Subsite/Review (Spoilers)
-Justice League: Gods and Monsters Blu-ray/DVD/Digital Talkback (Spoilers)
-Justice League: Gods and Monsters Chronicles "Season One" Talkback (Spoilers)
-Justice League: Gods and Monsters (2015 Mini-Series)" Comic Talkback (Spoilers)
-Justice League: Gods and Monsters - Wonder Woman (2015 One-Shot)" Comic Talkback (Spoilers)
-Justice League: Gods and Monsters - Batman (2015 One-Shot) Comic Talkback (Spoilers)
-Justice League: Gods and Monsters - Superman (2015 One-Shot) Comic Talkback (Spoilers)

-Justice League: Gods and Monsters Soundtrack Talkback (Spoilers)
-Justice League: Throne of Atlantis Feature Discussion (Spoilers)
-Justice League: War Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
-Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
-Justice League: Doom Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
-Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
-Justice League: The New Frontier Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
-Injustice: Gods Among Us Video Game Talkback (Spoilers)
-Batman: Arkham Knight Video Game Talkback (Spoilers)

Note: Remember, this talkback thread is for discussion of the feature film. If you wish to talk about the home video release, please click on the appropriate link above. We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

-batmat-

I can't believe this is getting negative reviews on Amazon! I really liked this movie. Not my favorite in the DC original movies list (for now that is TDKR) but this is top 5 material for sure to me.

Bat-Fan Beyond

I loved it! I really liked the spin they did on Wonder Woman the most, which was surprising to me, because her Chronicle short was the one I liked least.

Speaking of the Chronicle episodes... they won't be included on the blu-ray, right? If not, I really hope they add them to the season two episodes when they're finished and put them all out on a complete Gods and Monsters Chronicles blu-ray collection.

BigFatHairyDeal

Defender of the Universe
My favorite movie in quite some time. Nothing's perfect, but it was as good as I could've hoped for it to be, if not better.

-batmat-

Something I asked in a previous thread,
what exactly was the Fair Play project? I missed that somehow if they explained it, since the Metal Men, the killings and the connect-the-minds-of-everyone were all Magnus' own plans.

BigFatHairyDeal

Defender of the Universe
what exactly was the Fair Play project? I missed that somehow if they explained it, since the Metal Men, the killings and the connect-the-minds-of-everyone were all Magnus' own plans.

I assumed it was just a project that the world's greatest scientists collaborated on to find a way to kill Superman.

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
Loved the movie but

The death of Victor Stone just killed me, screw you Magnus, just screw

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Just to clarify, on this talkback thread, you don't need to use spoiler tags.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I really enjoyed this movie. The characters looked great, and pretty much each one was handled well. The action was impressive and the story played out great in the end. I thought the mystery was handled pretty well, it kind of kept me guessing who was really behind everything. I was thinking the one who could actually frame the Justice League (as in copy their powers) would turn out to be Amazo. I was slightly disappointed by Magnus' motivation, but otherwise it was great. His master plan kind of reminded me of Omac from the comics.

All three main characters were great. Plus had good designs and voice actors. Superman's story was pretty good, though I was hoping he'd have an extended flashback like the others. Batman's back-story was presented well enough and I liked how they connected him to the villain of the movie. Wonder Woman was probably my favorite though, I really liked how they played around with Jack Kirby's Fourth World characters.

And I loved Luthor's role in the movie, and how he was connected to each of the three characters. He was a great character, and I thought he pretty much took on the roles of both Brainiac and Metron in this new universe, while still having some of his old Luthor self. Good stuff.

Lots of cameos in this movie. I think I recognized just about all of them. Some weren't that different than their mainstream versions, at least from what was shown. I'll probably post more later, or even try to write a review, but the bottom line is I really liked this movie and would love to see more from this universe, other than the second season of Gods and Monsters Chronicles. I didn't expect I'd have to update my Atom retrospective this soon. :p

I assumed it was just a project that the world's greatest scientists collaborated on to find a way to kill Superman.

I figured it was related to those weapons the army attacked Superman with. Those rays could harm him, and I'm guessing eventually kill him. Possibly a version of Kryptonite.

-batmat-

Oh, so it wasn't me, they never actually said what Fair Play was exactly, other than a way to be able to defeat the League.

I agree that Magnus' plan and motivation were a bit of a let down after a great build up the movie had, but other than that, I really enjoyed this movie. I loved the back stories, and the mystery was cool, well handled.

Definitely the best one since Flashpoint. Sequel, please!!! Or at least more movies with Timm's designs. What a much needed return to that, for me.

b.t.

For the record: Lex explains Project Fair Play aboard his artificial satellite, that it was developed as a means to destroy Superman should the need ever arise. Later, the miraculously resurrected Magnus explains to Batman that the PFP lasers mimic the radiation of a red sun (not kryptonite, which we wanted to avoid for the moment). As for Magnus then wiping out all the scientists who were involved in the project -- he didn't want any of them to be able to help Superman figure out a counter-measure to their counter-measure. A bit drastic, perhaps.

-batmat-

A-ha! I see now. So we did actually see some of Fair Play's creations. Thanks for clearing this up, Bruce.

Another thing I found really interesting was the conception of Superman. Now, I don't know much about it in the comics, but the DNA machine was a great idea and a much better way to have Zod be Superman's father rather than something like ''Lara and Zod had an affaire''. It also took me back a bit to Man of Steel, where they mention that births are not natural anymore.

This is the first movie in a long time that after I see it for the first time, I want to watch it again right away! So congrats to everyone involved.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
I may as well put my little mini-review up here as well...

This may have just become my favorite movie out of the entire DC Universe line.

It was action-packed. It was thought-provoking. It was suspenseful. It was moving.

I loved the re-imagined versions of Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman, with all three being engaging and unique. I expecially enjoyed Kirk's story and how it resolved itself. Alan Burnett created a sharp, distinct script with nothing superflous or meandering. What he was able to do in 75 minutes is nothing short of astounding.

The animation and designs were simply gorgeous. I've truly missed the Bruce Timm style. I don't know why this style of animation pops for me more, but it just does. Simple lines, pronounced edges and an undeniable fluidity.

I'll try and get a more detailed review up later.

W.C.Reaf

For the record: Lex explains Project Fair Play aboard his artificial satellite, that it was developed as a means to destroy Superman should the need ever arise. Later, the miraculously resurrected Magnus explains to Batman that the PFP lasers mimic the radiation of a red sun (not kryptonite, which we wanted to avoid for the moment). As for Magnus then wiping out all the scientists who were involved in the project -- he didn't want any of them to be able to help Superman figure out a counter-measure to their counter-measure. A bit drastic, perhaps.

I figured killing the scientists who made PFP added a motivation to the frame job. Making it seem like the JL killed them to stop them from making more weapons against the JL.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
To share some brief thoughts, Justice League: Gods and Monsters is a stupendous entry in the DC Universe Animated Original Movie line. A surprisingly personal story that unfolds not quite the way you’d expect it to, the movie serves as a reminder as to why Bruce Timm has been so widely regarded all these years. His designs are slick and the premise fresh. Alan Burnett turns in a fantastic script, the animation is on point, and the acting is aces all around. It’s a dark movie, sure, but not grim. It actually becomes ... hopeful. It’s a movie that bears rewatching and a universe that lends itself to further exploration down the line. Highly Recommended.

Full review coming soon.

Also, welcome back to the boards, Bruce. Nice to see you around again.

BigFatHairyDeal

Defender of the Universe
Since I see b.t. might still be reading this thread, I feel compelled to lump more praise, as well as be more specific about what I really liked.

I find alternate universe stories can really be hit and miss. When I think of the most disappointing Elseworlds/What Ifs/alt universe stories, I feel they often fall too far to one of the two poles: either everything ends up just like the regular continuity, or the story writers get too cutesy ironic and just do the exact opposite of what you think, the latter of which creates just as much predictability as no change at all. This movie really excels at blending familiar with opposite, so that there's constantly an element of surprise.

In addition, when you combine the movie with all of the accompanying shorts, comics, and animation to come, you have a great fictional world that fans will want to revisit (again, unlike so many Elseworlds titles).

Wag

I thought this was great stuff. I especially found it interesting that Superman was conceived of genetic "rape". A bit shocking, but something that the Kryptonians and (especially) Zod would do. Also interesting was that Superman was raised by migrant workers- did they ever say he was American? I'm not sure. (I'm not sure that even matters).

As for the scientists, I think I recognized most of them as well. I liked the reference to Mister Terrific with the "Fair Play" project. Lots of other little references sprinkled like that throughout. We have to start a list.

BigFatHairyDeal

Defender of the Universe
I thought this was great stuff. I especially found it interesting that Superman was conceived of genetic "rape". A bit shocking, but something that the Kryptonians and (especially) Zod would do. Also interesting was that Superman was raised by migrant workers- did they ever say he was American? I'm not sure. (I'm not sure that even matters).

The Gods and Monsters comics go into some detail here, as they cover aspects of his early life. I guess he's no less American than Clark Kent is, because (I think) the rocket landed in the US, and he grew up there because his adoptive parents were chasing the American dream.

Wag

The Gods and Monsters comics go into some detail here, as they cover aspects of his early life. I guess he's no less American than Clark Kent is, because (I think) the rocket landed in the US, and he grew up there because his adoptive parents were chasing the American dream.

I never even knew this was based on a comic. Thanks. I'll wait for the tpb to come out and I'll pick it up.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I never even knew this was based on a comic. Thanks. I'll wait for the tpb to come out and I'll pick it up.
The movie is not based on a comic. There is a tie in comic currently being released daily. It started as digital releases on July 1 and ends July 18. Then 6 physical issues release every week starting July 22 up to August 26. They deal with origins of Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman and the Justice League. So far, no news on a trade paperback collection but we can pretty much count on it happening in late 2015/early 2016.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts