Is there a reason Uncle Grandpa is so hated?

TheMisterManGuy

I used to hate Uncle Grandpa, mainly going by the promos. I thought it was just yet another cartoon trying to copy Adventure Time without understanding what made it successful. But the more I watched it, the more it actually grew on me. Now, it still isn't a show that I'll follow or marathon, but it's simply ment to be mindless harmless fun, in that aspect, it's a good filler cartoon, and it can get a laugh or two out of you. But I also think this is why it, and Clarence are so hated. In this day and age, people think every new cartoon needs some huge worldbuilding or sprawling plot, even very wacky shows like Star Vs. the Forces of Evil seem to have one. Those shows have their place, but I always believed in diversity. For every Gumball, there needs to be a Steven Universe, it works vice versa. In this day and age, it seems a very wacky show like Uncle Grandpa, or a very grounded-in-reality show like Clarence are looked down upon because they don't meet the standards of the supposed "right way" to make a cartoon. What people fall to realize is that there is NO right way to make a cartoon. Cartoon creators typically make what they want to see and what they think is funny. If you don't like it fine, but don't act like every cartoon needs to follow some abitrary checklist of your desires. Anyway, had Uncle Grandpa came out during CN's golden age, it probably wouldn't be as looked down upon as it is right now. And like I said, the show is harmless. Yes it's stupid and nonsensical, but in an amusing way. This isn't like Teen Titans Go! or Johnny Test with mean-spirited characters, lazy flash animation, repetitive plots, and terrible morals.

SaneMan

I think you said it pretty well here

It generally angers me how people constantly want everything to be the same, and bash something simply because it does not fit their narrow definitions

Light Lucario

Staff member
I don't know if Uncle Grandpa is that hated. Compared to shows like Teen Titans GO and Johnny Test, I don't really see much negativity for Uncle Grandpa, at least based on this site. I think people are more indifferent towards it in general. The character designs and concept might turn people off, which I can understand. I haven't seen a lot of Uncle Grandpa, but from what I've seen, it's okay at best and there have been a couple of funny jokes here and there.

TheMisterManGuy

I don't know if Uncle Grandpa is that hated. Compared to shows like Teen Titans GO and Johnny Test, I don't really see much negativity for Uncle Grandpa, at least based on this site. I think people are more indifferent towards it in general. The character designs and concept might turn people off, which I can understand. I haven't seen a lot of Uncle Grandpa, but from what I've seen, it's okay at best and there have been a couple of funny jokes here and there.

I hear people on YouTube and Message boards saying how awful this show is and how it's some sort of anti-christ of cartoons. I have a feeling they're judging it off the promos, which you should never do for a modern Cartoon Network show.

szjdfgs

This comes back down to one of those Tumblr posts I saw before, where the adult fans have gotten so used to complex stories and compelling plots in today's current-running cartoons created for children, that they find it weird when a cartoon actually tries to cater to their target demographic. They see it as foreign, and at worst, they will try their hardest to prove why said cartoon sucks.

"Say Uncle" is probably the best example so far, where everyone panicked and cried about it, and gave the most absurd reasons to explain why Uncle Grandpa should not be recommended to anyone, and how dangerous it was for kids, but then once it aired (mostly) everyone was happy.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I hear people on YouTube and Message boards saying how awful this show is and how it's some sort of anti-christ of cartoons. I have a feeling they're judging it off the promos, which you should never do for a modern Cartoon Network show.

I don't know about other message boards, but I'd recommend to never pay attention to what YouTube comments about anything. Anyone calling this show an Anti-Christ of cartoons is also probably someone you shouldn't take seriously at all.

szidfgs said:
"Say Uncle" is probably the best example so far, where everyone panicked and cried about it, and gave the most absurd reasons to explain why Uncle Grandpa should not be recommended to anyone, and how dangerous it was for kids, but then once it aired (mostly) everyone was happy.

Again, I don't know about other places, but I don't recall that much of an issue with that crossover, aside from that absurd rumor posted a few weeks before it premiered. Most of the reaction here was just wondering how the two could be in the same universe and how they would work when the two series aren't similar in regards to tone. Although, I will say that it turned out better than I expected when I finally got a chance to see it.

szjdfgs

Again, I don't know about other places, but I don't recall that much of an issue with that crossover, aside from that absurd rumor posted a few weeks before it premiered. Most of the reaction here was just wondering how the two could be in the same universe and how they would work when the two series aren't similar in regards to tone. Although, I will say that it turned out better than I expected when I finally got a chance to see it.

Well yeah, I guess there are some places where people can have a rational discussion. Not every website has to resort to shouting. I think even the YouTube comments were a bit more forgiving since most of the reactions I got were from Tumblr. And when put in that perspective, judging the reaction of two fandoms as a whole from one website alone is unfair. But what can I say, modern cartoons have a medium-to-large following on Tumblr and you're more likely to find more fans of a majority of shows on Tumblr than other forums. Even if some other places have civilized discussion, and some rules set up so users don't go too far, you'll probably hear a lot more from the blogging platform than the other forums.

But this also depends on what kind of websites you browse on a daily basis to get your reactions, so I'm still not being fair. Maybe that's why I heard sirens blaring on one side and you heard nothing but someone kicking a garbage can in the street on one day, on your side, if that makes any sense

Dr.Pepper

Dude it's You Tube. 99% of the comments there come from bleeding idiots. I honestly haven't seen too much hate for it.

Toon4Thought

Giving a slightly closer look.
I can understand why people wouldn't like this show. I mean, really think about the concept of the show: it's about a cheery man-child who is somehow everyone in the world's uncle and grandpa who takes kids on fantastical journeys to solve their problems. That sounds incredibly stupid on paper, doesn't it? And the charm the show does bring will be a very acquired taste for many, as it's something completely different from just about everything we're used to involving animation. I like to think of this show as the Freakazoid of this generation: a cartoon that relies heavily on completely random humor that turns off a lot of people at first, only to gain a cult following years later. I don't recall seeing many positive things about UG when it first came out, and even I didn't find myself striking any cords with it right off the bat, but the more time passes the more people seem to be opening up to this show.

But yeah, like I said, this show really isn't for everyone, and even for those like me who do enjoy it, it's something to watch much more in moderation than anything. So I can kind of understand some of the criticism. Just don't pay attention to those who are practically channeling that Cheesepuff troll guy.

wiley207

Another reason may be because of how "Uncle Grandpa" seemed to be a direct replacement for "The Looney Tunes Show," strategically replacing its' timeslot once TLTS ended.

Dudley

Staff member
To many, the show just isn't that funny.
However, I feel that there are people that have been "spoiled" by action adventure cartoons with supposedly deep and compelling characters, and ongoing storylines. So to see those shows get canceled one by one and see a cartoon that doesn't care about deep characters and storylines is a travesty. Of course, then you have people that see a goofy looking character with the title "Uncle Grandpa", and instantly write it off as stupid.
It's also why people hate Teen Titans Go! There are many that just think the show is stupid and not funny, and some of said people overlap with those that are furious that it exists and not the more serious original Teen Titans cartoon.

But alas, it doesn't matter how much hate it gets online. It doesn't change the fact that the show has an audience that's large enough to keep it going. You can't please everyone, and you never need to.

Oh and Youtube comments are the worst and should avoid being read.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
I may find this show quite stupid, but at least it's stupid-ly entertaining, and sometimes heartwarming. However, I can easily say that when UG is helping kids. For me, that's the show at its best - just my two cents. Yeah, CN can do better in the future, but they've done much worse - and UG doesn't come close to worse if I'm able to even say nice things about it, despite me saying it's stupid at first, IMHO.

As for YT's take on all of this - IGNORE. Peace.

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
I don't outright hate this show, but I do avoid it. Frankly, I just find the main character annoying.

To each their own, I guess.

Rouge

Charming Grandmaster
It's hated (on Tumblr at least) because it's also offensive. I've seen several complaints about the crossdressing gags being transphobic, the morbidly obese Steven Universe background reference being fatphobic, and the simple, "lol so random" humor being insulting to its audiences, including children. It's not that older viewers want everything to cater to them, but that kids deserve to be influenced positively by the media they consume. Just because something's for kids doesn't mean it has to be stupid or take cheap shots at underprivileged groups.

I myself have only watched one full episode of it (not counting the crossover) and didn't find fault in it, but its criticisms aren't unfounded.

Megumi

★ No One's Dream Anymore ☆
It's because it's not good. Ugly colors, the characters aren't funny, and the show isn't funny.

Then again, this isn't targeted to the older kids who would hate this kind of stuff, but instead aimed towards the sugar addicts in third grade that apparently love it.

I'm not going to hate; congrats to the creators for doing something that works.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?

Well, there's the problem: you're paying attention to YouTube comments and taking them seriously. Why are you doing that? There might be a few opinions made on the site that are actually worth reading, but you'd have to sift through too much junk to find them and it's not really worth the effort. The majority of YouTube comments are the equivalent of "I'm 14 years old and unsupervised!". Honestly, I wouldn't take any comments on YouTube or Tumblr to heart.

Last edited by a moderator:

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
To many, the show just isn't that funny.
However, I feel that there are people that have been "spoiled" by action adventure cartoons with supposedly deep and compelling characters, and ongoing storylines. So to see those shows get canceled one by one and see a cartoon that doesn't care about deep characters and storylines is a travesty. Of course, then you have people that see a goofy looking character with the title "Uncle Grandpa", and instantly write it off as stupid.
It's also why people hate Teen Titans Go! There are many that just think the show is stupid and not funny, and some of said people overlap with those that are furious that it exists and not the more serious original Teen Titans cartoon.

But alas, it doesn't matter how much hate it gets online. It doesn't change the fact that the show has an audience that's large enough to keep it going. You can't please everyone, and you never need to.

Oh and Youtube comments are the worst and should avoid being read.

I think Dudley nailed it.

A show like Uncle Grandpa is like Kryptonite for viewers who crave shows like The Legend of Korra, Young Justice, Adventure Time and Steven Universe. That's to be expected, but when these same people bad-mouth shows like UG and its' ilk for simply being the way they are and for NOT being like Korra and Young Justice, that's when the hatred for UG and the like becomes insane, annoying and irrational, as if it's now TV law that every cartoon made has to be river-deep and have complex characters, dramatic moments and ongoing story arcs. You prefer anime and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic? Fine. Do so, there's nothing wrong with that, but I really get sick of people who act like the existence of anime and MLP: FiM and their preference for such shows somehow means that now EVERY cartoon has to be like anime or MLP, and the ones that don't are somehow violating Cartoon Law. Just because you prefer complex, emotional and dramatic cartoons doesn't mean that cartoons that don't employ those traits can't be made or enjoyed by viewers if they so choose. This a mindset which annoys me to no end.

Some of the hate for shows like UG or Johnny Test or Teen Titans GO! could be sour grapes from folks who are just mad that Thundercats, Green Lantern, Young Justice and Beware the Batman are gone and the UG-type shows are thriving. Maybe kids just like UG more than those other shows, did that thought ever occur to you? And I'm not slamming the more serious, action-themed or grounded shows, mind you, just pointing out that there IS a audience for shows like Uncle Grandpa too.

And like others have said, YouTube comments should be avoided like the Plague. Too many of them are just troll posts made by kids playing around on Mom and Dad's computer. I wouldn't base anything on something LordViperScorpion666 has to say.

ToonJay723

Staff member
I remember thinking Clarence was going to be bad based on the promos, but when I actually watched it, it was good. It's unfortunate that not a lot of people like it, and it's really unfortunate that some people think it's a bad show, just because of an unrelated incident. That's really unfair to the show, and people shouldn't judge a show, based on something that happened behind the scenes.

As for UG though, it's just not my thing.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts