What happens if the DC cinematic universe films fail?

thomas2313412

What happens if the Dc cinematic universe films failed?
You know with the mixed reception of man of steel despite being a box office hit, The dc cinematic universe films will have a bumpy start and its future look bleak as well and probably won’t be just like its rival the marvel cinematic universe according to some of the fans of dc comics here is my theory on the fate of the DC cinematic universe films
If there is mixed or negative reception on batman v superman because of what possibly about the story, almost like its source materials the casts, its ‘Dark’ tone and probably will earn less box office then plans for the future dc cinematic universe movies like wonder woman, justice league, flash and aqua man will probably be cancelled and Dc comic and Warner bros will probably focus more on live action television versions instead.
If the films gain box office success despite negative or mixed review then the dc cinematic film making continue as planned.
And that's all i am saying. :sad:

Last edited by a moderator:

Sonic_Eclipse

Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!
I think the DCCU, should be off to a good start with Dawn of Justice, because it includes DC's big three. Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman alone should be enough to get people to go see this film. Aside from Batman, I don't know much about the DC universe like I do Marvel, but that reason alone has me pretty excited to see it.

I have no doubt that DoJ will be a hit, it will probably even be a good film. The success of the DCCU will largely depend on the quality of the films WB puts out after this film. The DCCU has an advantage that the MCU doesn't, and its that they have all their characters under one roof. So if they play their cards right they should do pretty good.

Last edited by a moderator:

thomas2313412

You might be right about that but if the box office is low ,the quality is bad then the production of future dc cinematic universe will be cancelled but if the quality if good and the box office is a success then the future dc cinematic universe films will go on as planned.

the greenman

At this point, I'm not that worried about BvS, cause it would have to be tremendously bad to not make dough. Heck, GotG should've been a billion dollar film, but didn't get up there.

I'm more worried about the idea of the spinoffs failing or not even being made. Do we really need a Cyborg film? Shazam, we needed 10 - 20 years ago, but Cyborg? His origin and story can be told in flashback or something. I think they're building a house of cards, and I highly doubt DC is smart enough to pull back now. Cyborg is based on Marvel having Black Panther, Suicide Squad is equally reactionary to GotG. So do they see these films going the long haul? It just doesn't feel that way. I'm not even sure Marvel has a plan beyond Avengers: Infinity War, just yet.

rggkjg1

KRYPTONITE NEVERMORE!
The cinematic DCU fails if Dawn Of Justice bombs/under performs/etc. There's no arguing that Man Of Steel was a hit. BUT many argue worth mentioning those drop offs in the weeks following it's release. I argue that a movie that has Nolan's, Goyer's, and Snyder's name on it make more that 291 million dollars. The cinematic DCU fails ONLY if Dawn Of Justice isn't a hit. Then I ask, what would be considered a "hit"? If Dawn Of Justice does just as "good" as Man Of Steel, is that acceptable? Acceptable to me for this movie is making more than Man Of Steel by a noteworthy amount. In terms of the premise and characters in Dawn Of Justice, I consider this to be the biggest superhero movie WB has made, so the box office expectations should be reasonably high because of that.

Now, what happens if Dawn Of Justice doesn't meet box office expectations? I'm willing to bet WB cancels the entire cinematic DCU, or puts it on a "hiatus" (meaning it's canceled, but they're calling it a hiatus). WB will regroup and just make ANOTHER BATMAN movie. I feel if WB had actual FAITH in a cinematic universe, we would be in some kind of legitimate production of a movie that didn't have BATMAN in it, wasn't based on BATMAN, or tied into BATMAN. So as of now, we have a SEQUEL to a SUPERMAN movie with BATMAN in it, and a Suicide Squad movie that features BATMAN characters.

I said this in another thread, if the solo Wonder Woman film is not in any kind of legitimate production upon the release of Dawn Of Justice, that shows me they don't have faith, or are taking a "wait and see" approach before committing. They've waited long enough. While green lighting a solo Wonder Woman film in response to Dawn Of Justice being a hit offers some comfort, it just causes more delay since they COULD have already been in production of the movie IF WB is serious about a cinematic DCU. Or the plan might be to be in legitimate production of, or announce the Justice League film before anything else upon Dawn Of Justice simply because (you guess it) BATMAN is a member of the Justice League.

There are many ways the cinematic DCU can fail. It's mostly riding on Dawn Of Justice being a success.

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
rggkjg1;4860721There's no arguing that [I said:
Man Of Steel [/I]was a hit.

Not really, 668 Mil is relatively low for the genre

It would probably be for the best since Man of Steel was only made as a contingency for WB to keep the rights.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
Still within the top 20

If BvS and to a lesser extent Suicide Squad financially flop,
Back to the drawing board for those various production companies OR that's it for the DCCU
(might just stick to the stand-alone recipe thereon forth)
If WB is actually that interested, DC Entertainment would need to be a singular entity like Marvel Studios
because there might actually be "too many cooks."

Monte

Its not really low for the genre; some of the marvel films also scored those kinds of numbers; Its pretty close to average, especially for a film meant to kick off a franchise. $1 billion is more like exceptionally high for the genre; the films CAN get that high, but you shouldn't really expect them too. Really its high enough for the producers to call it a a big success and make more films. I mean that's almost triple what it cost to make; like 300% return on their investment. Its more than enough for DC to think they can franchise it. The only way DC would reconsider its plans for future DC films is if the films either bombed out completely or only just barely made back the money it cost to make them, thus making them seem like a risky investment (See: Green Lantern)... But i do not see that happening; as bay's transformers films have shown, even bad movies can make tons of money. Batman and Superman alone should bring in enough of an audience for the film to make a good profit regardless of the actual quality.

If the films actually have good quality, then there is hope for the rest of the DCU... if they don't, then we'll have to sit through a decade of Transformers quality BS before DC/WB decide to reboot and try again. One way or another we'll have this DCU for atleast the next decade; for better or for worst. But i do atleast agree with rggkjg that the performance of BvS could have an effect on the other films in the form of hiatus's and delays as they re-strategize

Tohya

deficit omne quod nasciture
Its not really low for the genre; some of the marvel films also scored those kinds of numbers; Its pretty close to average, especially for a film meant to kick off a franchise.
For an iconic movie franchise that made 210 mil in its first two weeks, I'd say yes, it was low, Sure, Marvel films also scored those kind of numbers but nobody excepted much out of those pre-Avenger solo films. Marvel never had their hopes riding on Thor and the First Avengers ticket receipts. Point here is that WB long ago said "eff it were going all in with our CBMs." You think the thought of MoS bombing ever entered their mind?(in case you forgot, it didn't.). But the question is, what exactly does "failing" entail? After the year Marvel just had its hard to imagine MoS's success not seeming somewhat hollow a year later. Sony just basically threw in the towel on their current Spidey incarnation with almost similar box office returns. Dawn is going to make boat loads of cash, there's no question about it, but if it comes out to lukewarm reviews and drops like a rock in its 2nd week will WB care? It's hard to imagine they would? WB is thirsty and if they sprawled a whole movie universe off the rather mediocre Man of Steel, I can't see them delaying any movie.

thomas2313412

Its not really low for the genre; some of the marvel films also scored those kinds of numbers; Its pretty close to average, especially for a film meant to kick off a franchise. $1 billion is more like exceptionally high for the genre; the films CAN get that high, but you shouldn't really expect them too. Really its high enough for the producers to call it a a big success and make more films. I mean that's almost triple what it cost to make; like 300% return on their investment. Its more than enough for DC to think they can franchise it. The only way DC would reconsider its plans for future DC films is if the films either bombed out completely or only just barely made back the money it cost to make them, thus making them seem like a risky investment (See: Green Lantern)... But i do not see that happening; as bay's transformers films have shown, even bad movies can make tons of money. Batman and Superman alone should bring in enough of an audience for the film to make a good profit regardless of the actual quality.

If the films actually have good quality, then there is hope for the rest of the DCU... if they don't, then we'll have to sit through a decade of Transformers quality BS before DC/WB decide to reboot and try again. One way or another we'll have this DCU for atleast the next decade; for better or for worst. But i do atleast agree with rggkjg that the performance of BvS could have an effect on the other films in the form of hiatus's and delays as they re-strategize

That is true if the Dawn of justice film flops but becomes a box office hit then the studio board will decide if they will continue to making the planned dc universe films or reboot them,If its worse or if the reviews are good but less box office money which does not have the box office expectations studio wants then they will have to go back to the drawing board and start again.

But if the film had good quality with good reviews and more box office money then they will go on to make the planned films as scheduled. (i think)

If WB is actually that interested, DC Entertainment would need to be a singular entity like Marvel Studios
because there might actually be "too many cooks."

I agree with that and if that happens DC entertainment will probably have their own movie studios to make their films based on their source material just like how Marvel studios did,If not maybe Dc entertainment will focus more on developing a dc 'television' universe instead.

The only way DC would reconsider its plans for future DC films is if the films either bombed out completely or only just barely made back the money it cost to make them, thus making them seem like a risky investment (See: Green Lantern)... But i do not see that happening; as bay's transformers films have shown, even bad movies can make tons of money. Batman and Superman alone should bring in enough of an audience for the film to make a good profit regardless of the actual quality.

That’s true its as if studios want to make more sequels from bad films which makes more money so that they will use ‘more money’ bad movie sequels for their future film projects instead of caring about the quality of good films its as if the world is desperate for money like a cycle.
And you are right if performance of Bvs has gone bad with poor box office ratings then the plans to make the Dc cinematic universe including the awaited justice league movie will go on hiatus (which means closed for now) until they make a proper start to make a better Dc cinematic universe or a ‘live action television’ universe. (i think )

For an iconic movie franchise that made 210 mil in its first two weeks, I'd say yes, it was low, Sure, Marvel films also scored those kind of numbers but nobody excepted much out of those pre-Avenger solo films. Marvel never had their hopes riding on Thor and the First Avengers ticket receipts. Point here is that WB long ago said "eff it were going all in with our CBMs." You think the thought of MoS bombing ever entered their mind?(in case you forgot, it didn't.). But the question is, what exactly does "failing" entail? After the year Marvel just had its hard to imagine MoS's success not seeming somewhat hollow a year later. Sony just basically threw in the towel on their current Spidey incarnation with almost similar box office returns. Dawn is going to make boat loads of cash, there's no question about it, but if it comes out to lukewarm reviews and drops like a rock in its 2nd week will WB care? It's hard to imagine they would? WB is thirsty and if they sprawled a whole movie universe off the rather mediocre Man of Steel, I can't see them delaying any movie.

Yeah i agree if Dawn of justice is a success WB will probably have to continue making the films as planned including justice league part 1 and 2 If not back to the drawing board or something and i agree about sony they will probably give up spdierman film rights and give it to marvel studios so that they can make their own spiderman reboot film.

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
If it fails, one of two things will happen:

1) DC will go on break for a while.
2) They'll stick with making more Batman, because it's safe.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts