Fox developing X-Men TV series

gmster

From the same sources that had the scoop about the Supergirl show, 20th Century Fox is reportedly deep in development for a live-action X-Men show, presumably for the Fox network. Fox Are In Deep Development On A Live-Action X-Men TV Show - Bleeding Cool Comic Book, Movie, TV News

X-Men Television Series

A. Legion

Status: 8 Episode First Season on FX, Renewed for a Third Season

Season 1 Start Date: February 8 to March 29, 2017
Season 1 Talkback Thread
Season 1 Home Entertainment Release: March 27, 2018

Season 2 Start Date: April 3 to June 12, 2018
Season 2 Talkback Thread
Season 2 Home Entertainment Release: March 26, 2019

Season 3 Star Date: June 24 to August 12, 2019
Season 3 Talkback Thread
Season 3 Home Entertainment Release: August 27, 2019 (MOD)

Producer: Noah Hawley, Bryan Singer, Jeph Loeb
Premise: "Since he was a teenager, David has struggled with mental illness. Diagnosed as schizophrenic, David has been in and out of psychiatric hospitals for years. But after a strange encounter with a fellow patient, he’s confronted with the possibility that the voices he hears and the visions he sees might be real."

B. Hellfire [ABANDONED]
Producer: Evan Katz & Manny Coto, Patrick McKay & John D. Payne, Bryan Singer, Jeph Loeb
Premise: Set in the '60s, the show is said to "follow a young special agent who learns that a power-hungry woman with extraordinary abilities is working with a clandestine society of millionaires -- known as 'The Hellfire Club' -- to take over the world."

C. Gifted The Gifted
Status: 13 Episode First Season on Fox, Renewed for a Second Season, Cancelled.

Season 1 Start Date: October 2, 2017 to January 15, 2018
Season 1 Talkback Thread
Season 1 Home Entertainment Release: September 25, 2018

Season 2 Start Date: September 25, 2018 to February 26, 2019
Season 2 Talkback Thread
Season 2 Home Entertainment Release: July 9, 2019 (MOD)

Producer: Matt Nix, Bryan Singer, Lauren Shuler Donner, Simon Kinberg, Jeph Loeb, and Jim Chory
Premise: Gifted will focus on two ordinary parents who discover their children possess mutant powers. Forced to go on the run from a hostile government, the family joins up with an underground network of mutants and must fight to survive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
You know on paper this isn't that bad an idea. Heck this actually, like Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D could easily connect to the film universe. You would simply have the cast be made up of lesser known mutants, acting as a branch of the X-Men in another part of the country, and have occasional cameo appearances by say the likes of Patrick Stewart or maybe, if FOX is willing to spring a bit for it, Hugh Jackman. And since unlike with AoS there are actually a lot more comic characters they could actually used who wouldn't be tied up just with relating to the movie they'd be fine when it comes to who to put in the series. And yeah some mutants abilities would cost more money then others but if they're fronting for a full team series they have to be willing to obviously pay for the use of various kind of powers being shown, not just one. Also this can showcase the X-Man brand more directly and be involved more in the action and still have plots they can use from the comics that would fit one hour length dramas or season long story arcs and what not.

I don't know though how much money FOX really is willing to spring on this series and yeah this does seem like a "hop the bandwagon" approach with now that superheroes dominate the movies, they're trying to do the same for T.V as well. But I see potential in this. More then say a Supergirl series as the X-Men have at least proved popular outside the comic book demographic and would make for a good series with a brand name that doesn't need to tie that much into the more mainstay characters but ties in enough to draw people to it.

reflection01

I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to do Generation X again. They did a TV movie/pilot back in 1996 that was decent enough for the time, but didn't go to development. It was a big deal on Usenet forums back in the day.

This sounds like a nice idea, the Mutants don't even have to be involved with the X-Men, assuming the idea is for this to take place in the same universe as the films. Then again, this could always be its own thing and as a result give us new actors to play the X-Men we see in the films.

gmster

According to some tweets from eatgeekplay's Shawn Madden, the plan is for the series to be based on Peter David's X-Factor run, and he adds that, "The X-Factor series will definitely feature Jamie Madrox and be sort of like 'Fringe in the X-Men world.'"

Pretty much sounds like X-Factor Investigations.

Greg91

Reporter
Oh, another network show about superheroes...okay?
Here's my question: Is anyone interested in watching this show? Especially with all the shows Marvel Studios and DC Comics have in-the-works. We would have a flood of new superhero shows. I'll wait to hear an official announcement, and leave it at that for now.

Here's my question: Is anyone interested in watching this show? Especially with all the shows Marvel Studios and DC Comics have in-the-works. We would have a flood of new superhero shows. I'll wait to hear an official announcement, and leave it at that for now.

I am interested, so long as this is a series driven with real creative edge to it.

Frontier

Staff member
A New Mutants show focusing on the kids at the Xavier school would be cool, but an X-Factor show would be just as cool and probably be a bit more practical to do without having the X-Men from the films cameo as teachers from time to time :sweat:.

Having an X-Factor show based off Peter David's original run could have a lot of potential, and I'd definitely check it out :).

Though suffice to say I think it means Madrox would probably get re-casted :p.

dmxx116

Doesn't Marvel/Disney have the TV rights to do a live action X-Men TV show? If so I don't think Fox can make a X-Men TV without Marvel/Disney. If I'm Marvel/Disney Fox is going to have to give something and I mean a lot if they want to do some TV shows.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
It would be interesting to see how this goes especially since I thought Marvel had the TV rights. I wonder if they'd have to work together or something.
I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to do Generation X again. They did a TV movie/pilot back in 1996 that was decent enough for the time, but didn't go to development. It was a big deal on Usenet forums back in the day.

I was a pretty big Gen X/X-Men fan as a kid so I was excited for and forgiving of that movie. Gen X has been for a long time though but I wouldn't be surprised if they did go the Young X-Men route. This reminds me that Josh Schwartz was working on a film of that sort years ago.

dmxx116

If I'm Marvel/Dinsey I want the Fantastic Four film rights and I want Sony type deal for the X-Men or no X-Men TV rights.

RoryWilliams

Then they'd likely just end up with nothing. A spin-off TV show isn't valuable enough that they'd rejigger their franchise and let Marvel have a creative stake in it after they just spent a whole movie essentially trying to reboot it from the ground up.

dmxx116

Then they'd likely just end up with nothing. A spin-off TV show isn't valuable enough that they'd rejigger their franchise and let Marvel have a creative stake in it after they just spent a whole movie essentially trying to reboot it from the ground up.
Then Fox gets nothing at all then.

TheLemsterPju

Better for Marvel to take their time with eventually getting to use the X-Men characters rather than completely destroying their possibly-fixable relationship beyond repair with impatience.

Frontier

Staff member
Would Marvel really go through with a deal for Fox to have their own X-Men TV show? Unless they genuinely got something out of it?

I mean, it's not like they're doing anything for the X-Men on TV themselves , but that's likely because of the rights issue.

Dudley

Staff member
I'm all up for a X-Men show. I feel the characters and world would fit well in a TV format, and their are hundreds of mutants to utilize, especially if we ignore House of M.
I just hope they get to use a bunch of mutants with cool powers and not lame vfx beginner crap.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.

Featured Posts