DC Comics Animation - Blu-ray/DVD/Digital News & Discussion Thread, Part 19 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
It's time for the 19th installment of the Official DC Animation Blu-ray/DVD News & Discussion Thread - the most informative DC Animation DVD/Blu-ray thread online! Outside of official Blu-ray and DVD talkbacks, this is the place to post all your Blu-ray and DVD news and comments! Want the latest news? Well, keep reading this thread!

To check out the newest information, stop by The World's Finest and also look for the latest posts in this thread for updates. For more news and the latest information on what DC Animation is coming to DVD and Blu-ray, check out the links below:

-The World's Finest News Page
-The World's Finest - Releases Section

Archive:
-The Official DC Animation Blu-ray/DVD News & Discussion Talkback, Part 18
-The Official DC Animation DVD/Blu-ray News & Discussion Talkback, Part 17
-The Official DC Animation DVD/Blu-ray News & Discussion Talkback, Part 16
-The Official DC Animation DVD/Blu-ray News & Discussion Talkback, Part 15
-The Official DC Animation DVD News & Discussion Talkback, Part 14
-The Official DC Animation DVD News Talkback, Part 13
-The Official DC Animated Universe DVD Talkback, Part 12
-The Official DC Animated Universe DVD Talkback, Part 11
-The Official DC Animated Universe DVD Talkback, Part 10
-The Official DC Animated Universe DVD Talkback, Part 9
-The Official DC Animated Universe DVD Talkback, Part 8
-The Official DC Animated Universe DVD Talkback, Part 7
-The Official DC Animated Universe DVD Talkback, Part 6
-The Official DC Animated Universe DVD Talkback, Part 5
-The Official DC Animated Universe DVD Talkback, Part 4
-The Official DC Animated Universe DVD Talkback, Part 3
-The Official DC Animated Universe DVD Talkback, Part 2
-The Official DC Animated Universe DVD Talkback, Part 1

Note #1: If you post spoiler material, please use the proper tags.
Note #2: This thread covers home media releases.
Note #3: Please keep the discussion and this thread on-topic. Thank you.
Note #4: If you have any thoughts or feedback on how this thread is run, please let us know!

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member

Kirben

It sounds like in addition to the Young Justice Season 1 Blu-Ray news, they also confirmed a Batman: The Brave and The Bold Season 2 Blu-Ray at the panel? This article says WAC will announce its release date on their twitter soon.
SDCC: 'Young Justice' Season 1 Blu-Ray Release Date/'Batman: Brave & the Bold Season 2 Blu-Ray" Announced
Actually the Blu-Ray release of Batman: The Brave and the Bold Season 2 was confirmed several weeks ago, there was a flyer in Future's End book offered on Free Comic Day.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Actually the Blu-Ray release of Batman: The Brave and the Bold Season 2 was confirmed several weeks ago, there was a flyer in Future's End book offered on Free Comic Day.
Yeah, I know that, but what I was asking was if they really acknowledged the title, too, at the panel or only focused on the YJ Blu-Ray. For instance - did anyone attend the panel, see any other article than the one I posted with more detail, video clips, twitter posts, etc.

-batmat-

So within the line of the DC Animated Movies, if Throne of Atlantis is getting released early 2015, there will be no more releases this year? Maybe something ala TDRK Deluxe? If not, it's weird that they release 3 movies in the first half of the year and then nothing the second half...

BigFatHairyDeal

Defender of the Universe
If you want to be technical, July/August is 3Q, so we get stuff in the second half of 2014. The Sneak Peek mentioned fall of 2014, but I guess that's not going to happen.

The following is in regard to a post I read in another thread, but I'm going to post here for relevance:

From the DTV era beginning in 2007, I'd say the best movies were all under Timm, but that has almost everything to do with source material. Wonder Woman was probably the best original story. Other than that, the particularly good stories IMO were just adaptations. I know Crisis on Two Earths gets a lot of love, but I thought it was only appealing because we had a proper Crime Syndicate story, and it was re-tooled JL story so for many fans it had sentimental value. I otherwise thought it wasn't particularly outstanding or noteworthy. I can't say, though, that stories like Superman: Doomsday, either Superman/Batman movie, Gotham Knights, either GL movie, Doom, etc. are so obviously better movies than Flashpoint Paradox, Assault on Arkham, or Son of Batman. I don't think the current guys get enough credit when fans insist that if Bruce Timm came back, then there'd be a huge uptick in quality.

If anything, I'm guessing that the quality level has stagnated/plateaued, with a few exceptions, but expectations generally remain high, and you know what they say about expectations.

-batmat-

If you want to be technical, July/August is 3Q, so we get stuff in the second half of 2014. The Sneak Peek mentioned fall of 2014, but I guess that's not going to happen.

The following is in regard to a post I read in another thread, but I'm going to post here for relevance:

From the DTV era beginning in 2007, I'd say the best movies were all under Timm, but that has almost everything to do with source material. Wonder Woman was probably the best original story. Other than that, the particularly good stories IMO were just adaptations. I know Crisis on Two Earths gets a lot of love, but I thought it was only appealing because we had a proper Crime Syndicate story, and it was re-tooled JL story so for many fans it had sentimental value. I otherwise thought it wasn't particularly outstanding or noteworthy. I can't say, though, that stories like Superman: Doomsday, either Superman/Batman movie, Gotham Knights, either GL movie, Doom, etc. are so obviously better movies than Flashpoint Paradox, Assault on Arkham, or Son of Batman. I don't think the current guys get enough credit when fans insist that if Bruce Timm came back, then there'd be a huge uptick in quality.

If anything, I'm guessing that the quality level has stagnated/plateaued, with a few exceptions, but expectations generally remain high, and you know what they say about expectations.

-Well, but if you have 3 releases in one year, I'd spread them a little more in the year, 1 every 4 months, cause now the wait is too long!

-If it has to do with the source material, then it's the people who are in charge now's fault anyway, cause they choose the source material (and if they not, then the people who do gets the blame).
I think to the movies you listed, the only exception is Flashpoint Paradox, because movies like Doom or Emerald Knights might not be very complex but they are very enjoyable, and I enjoyed every movie you listed there with maybe a 1 or 2 exceptions, with JL: War and Assault On Arkham I was cringing while watching the movies.

I'm not trying to be a blind-Bruce Timm fanatic that says that when he was in charge everything was better just because I'm a crazy BT fan, well, no. But it is true in the most part with very few exceptions. The designs are getting away from the simplistic and fabolous style that gave us great animation, into intricate, complicated and a lot of times just ugly charactes designs.

I'm noy saying this in a THIS IS HOW IT IS kind of way, but just simply stating my opinion of how I'd like things to be and how I used to enjoy these movies much more and how I've been let down with the most recent entries (flashpoint aside).

Then there's also the violence moments that simply don't make sence, like when in Son of Batman, Damian gets a sword through his both arms and keeps fighting like nothing happened, or in the most recent Assault on Arkham, where
The Jokers stabs repeatedly Deadshot but it seems to have no effect on him, as he pulls through and defeats him.

So when you put everything together, the stories, the character designs, the animation, etc, in my opinion, I don't like the way things are heading, and I miss the way things were when B.T. was involved.

BigFatHairyDeal

Defender of the Universe
Oh yeah, I think some of the violence lately has been almost slapstick. Granted, there were some bad instances pre-2013 in animation, and I've complained about that before. The one that really grinds my gears is when guys go flying through windshields and barely have a scratch on them. I fully agree with your complaint, and those instances you mentioned above did strike me as silly when I watched the movies.

I also agree that even spacing of releases is a good thing. A six month gap between releases is going to feel torturous. :)

With regard to designs, I would also agree that things are done differently now, and I would say I probably preferred it when they emulated the source material art. This is no slight to the current designers, as I actually like what they put out, but there's something kind of neat about adapting the story and the look as opposed to just the story.

Now as for the source material selection, that's kind of hard to argue because arguing quality of story generally gets complicated. I think, though, that when you adapt a story that's generally critically acclaimed, and it ends up being fairly faithful, fans will love the movie. Likewise, if you adapt a book that got average reviews, and you remain mostly faithful, you're going to get mediocre reviews for your movie. Books like New Frontier, All-Star Superman, and Batman: Year One are so well-regarded by fans, it's hard to make bad movies out of them. Most of the other adapted books, though, got more mixed reviews. Also, between 2007 and now, we had assortments of super-faithful adaptations (look at the Miller stories), and not-so-faithful adaptations (Superman: Doomsday comes to mind, and I'm guessing Son of Batman, too, though I can't confirm because I never read it). If we were to critique the current crew, we could say that when they took liberties, they didn't do enough to make the source material better, or in some cases might've made the source material worse, but those are critiques that could've been made in the prior era, as well.

To be fair, though, there should be pressure for the current guys to make a movie that gets as high marks as the best movies from the Timm era.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
lemin mentioned the dvd commentary... there was one? Maybe I should pick up the dvds
Not that I know of. I was under the impression that Season 1 is just the 26 episodes. I believe Ms. Lemelin was alluding to the Season 2 Blu-Ray when she wasn't supposed to. Greg Weisman was cryptic about there being special features on the Season 2 Blu. Since WAC operates on the MOD model, these animated releases have been budgeted for 13 or 26 episode sets. And YJ Season 2 is 20 episodes. In theory, they could budget it as a 26 episode set and have 6 episode's worth budget leftover to provide special features such as audio commentary. I welcome that theory to be true.

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
The official details for Batman: The Brave and The Bold: The Complete Second Season - hitting shelves September 9th, 2014 - are now up at The World's Finest and the show's subsite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!

Featured Posts