DC Comics Animation - General Animated Feature News & Discussion Thread, Part 8 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

atomicbattery

While they don't explicitly identify it as a Batman'66 movie, Ward states that it's coming out for 'the fiftieth anniversary', which implies strongly that it is. I would love to see Mike Allred's character designs- so gorgeous on the Batman'66 comics covers- used on this film. If anyone has concerns about how that might animate, consider the design of the fx series 'Archer', which very nearly duplicates Allred's style. The creators of that series have acknowledged going for a '60's-JamesBond-JonnyQuest look that would be perfect for a Batman'66 animated film. Hope someone at WB might have thought of that.

the greenman

Just realized, Ward said possible two films. So I think, thiz is meant to be a two parter, ala cliffhanger ending. How else could it be Batman '66 without Dozier's signature "Same Bat-time. Same Bat-channel."?

No it couldn't. Just need a good narrator, and John Fontaine passed away. :(

Nexonius

Ten, count em', ten years!
Well since this is supposedly centered around Batman 66', James Tucker should direct this.

Frontier

Staff member
With the increasing likelihood that this is going to be a Batman '66 movie, and with Batman, Robin, and Catwoman already cast, I wonder how they'll round out the rest of the voice cast? Getting Yvonne Craig back as Batgirl would be awesome, and I think a lot of the Brave and the Bold VA's could fill in well for the villains, especially since a lot of them based their performances on the '66 versions. Particularly Jeff Glen Bennett as Joker :).

While this is shaping up to be a celebration of Batman '66, we might just get to see a Brave and the Bold reunion as well ;).

the greenman

With the increasing likelihood that this is going to be a Batman '66 movie, and with Batman, Robin, and Catwoman already cast, I wonder how they'll round out the rest of the voice cast? Getting Yvonne Craig back as Batgirl would be awesome, and I think a lot of the Brave and the Bold VA's could fill in well for the villains, especially since a lot of them based their performances on the '66 versions. Particularly Jeff Glen Bennett as Joker :).

While this is shaping up to be a celebration of Batman '66, we might just get to see a Brave and the Bold reunion as well ;).

I would be shocked if they don't get Maurice LaMarche as Price's Egghead. Can't remember who provided King Tut's voice in TB&TB, but those are the two series specific foes I'd want to see. Perhaps, maybe even Bookworm, McDowell was classic. Think Joan Collins is too uppity to reprise Siren?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I would be shocked if they don't get Maurice LaMarche as Price's Egghead. Can't remember who provided King Tut's voice in TB&TB, but those are the two series specific foes I'd want to see. Perhaps, maybe even Bookworm, McDowell was classic. Think Joan Collins is too uppity to reprise Siren?
I think it was DiMaggio who voiced King Tut in TB&TB.

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter

I always thought Dan Castellaneta did a better Vincent Price impression

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
What Oliva said about still using more Morrison elements got me thinking. We got Damian, Bruce Wayne being a father...I guess the next big thing was Batman Inc.? I'm more than ready for an extended Bat-Family. I get they can do a slow burn with this ongoing continuity but two 70 minute films a year tests one's patience.

Did Morrison introduce Spyral? I recall Batwoman, Bat-Cow, Joker the Clown at Midnight, Professor Pyg, Three Ghosts of Batman, the Black Casebook, Batman R.I.P., his return, Black Glove, Damian's death, Leviathan.

Frontier

Staff member
Thoughts from the interview:

- Sounds like the creators do want to do more than just Justice League and Batman movies, but that because those are the ones that sell the best because they're popular brands, the creators have to make use of them to spotlight other characters. There's also the possibility that, if the live-action movies do well, it will open them up to using other characters :).

- Seems like the Justice League movies are all building up to something big...I wonder if that will be what the next movie deals with, based on the after-credit scene in Thrones of Atlantis, or if it's planned for a later date? Definitely curious to find out what it is :ack:.

- I can kinda see what Tucker's point about what differentiates DC from Marvel, in that there have been numerous varying portrayals of characters thanks to reboots and retcons which allows the writers to pick, meld, or expand upon, but to some degree that's true for Marvel as well. They have to keep their portrayals consistent from movie to movie, but that hasn't prevented them from diverging in characterization for certain characters in the films. Unless he's just talking about what the fans expect, which I guess would be a different story :shrug:.

- So looks like the Batman movies will continue to use influences from Grant Morrison's Batman run, with the exception being Batman vs. Robin which was more influenced by stories from Scott Snyder and Peter Tomasi, but in general the big thing seems to be continuing Damian's development and story. I agree with Yojimbo that Batman Inc. or something in that vein, would be the likely next step or endgoal espescially as it concerns Damian's story. It would also provide a perfect way for finally featuring the rest of the Bat-Family ;).

- Would be really cool to see some of the DCCU actors and actresses reprise their roles, even for an Elseworld title or adaption, for the DTV's :cool:.

- Would also be really great to see more Elseworld movies :D.

- I'm kinda surprised that Batman is still the hardest to cast, considering Andrea Romano has done it so many times :sweat:.

- Looking forward to Jon Hamm popping up in a future feature.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Seems like the Justice League movies are all building up to something big...I wonder if that will be what the next movie deals with, based on the after-credit scene in Thrones of Atlantis, or if it's planned for a later date? Definitely curious to find out what it is :ack:.
As I noted in TOA threads, I'm hopping it's a slow burn a la MCU Phase 1 teasers with Luthor as the Nick Fury recruiting villains to a Secret Society/Injustice Gang as they introduce more and more supervillains ripe for membership after Ocean Master and Scarecrow. But that could get old fast since again 2 70 minute movies a year. They might just introduce some of the members in the theoretical movie rather than introduce them all in previous movies.

So looks like the Batman movies will continue to use influences from Grant Morrison's Batman run, with the exception being Batman vs. Robin which was more influenced by stories from Scott Snyder and Peter Tomasi, but in general the big thing seems to be continuing Damian's development and story. I agree with Yojimbo that Batman Inc. or something in that vein, would be the likely next step or endgoal espescially as it concerns Damian's story. It would also provide a perfect way for finally featuring the rest of the Bat-Family ;).
Indeed, would love to see a take on Batman Inc. since we only had the Batmen of All Nations for a cold open on TB&TB. And the rest of the Bat-Family. I wonder how they would introduce the latter. Considering Damian's age, Batman has been operating for about a decade but no other costumes in that case other than Batman and Robin. I suppose they would/will introduce characters like Batgirl, Red Robin, Red Hood, Batwoman as associates and not direct proteges like Nightwing and Robin were.

Looking forward to Jon Hamm popping up in a future feature.
I would have gotten a kick out of him voicing a Big Bad like Darkseid. But I could see him as a Bat villain like Riddler or Two-Face.

AQVXZ11

As I noted in TOA threads, I'm hopping it's a slow burn a la MCU Phase 1 teasers with Luthor as the Nick Fury recruiting villains to a Secret Society/Injustice Gang as they introduce more and more supervillains ripe for membership after Ocean Master and Scarecrow. But that could get old fast since again 2 70 minute movies a year. They might just introduce some of the members in the theoretical movie rather than introduce them all in previous movies.

When did Lex recruit Scarecrow? Or are you just using him as an example since he was mentioned?

I'd like to see Batman Inc. if only because I'd like to see more people than just Damien...gosh I don't like him. It's a bummer the movies decided to focus on him instead of Dick, Jason or Tim...basically any other Robin.
I had hoped the developments at the end of Batman vs. Robin had meant we wouldn't be seeing him for a while.
I wish they'd do more Elseworlds stories as well. One movie a year should be dedicated to adapting them. Kingdom Come amazing art, no question but I don't see why the budget has to be any higher than any of the other movies. It's be nice to have flawless animation in Alex Ross's style but I think fans would be happy to just see a quality adaptation, even if it isn't absolute perfection.

I personally think they would do one movie a year, dedicated to Elseworlds (or other popular story lines pre New 52), have one be an all new original story and the last be an adaptation of New 52 stuff, with inspiration from other works if they choose. Heck maybe every so often adapt an actual novel, like JLA: Exterminators or It's Superman! (the latter would be...oh man). What do you guys think? For me, having balance and diversity is important. I don't see why Batman has to have a standalone movie a year set in the New 52. Especially since the one offs are dedicated to him as well. It's too much and so far, no character like Metamorpho has been featured haha. If we have to have Batman movies, I'd much prefer a Gotham by Gaslight, or Killing Joke, something not centered on Damien and would likely make more money then what the New 52 Batman movies would make anyway. I get what they're saying but can anyone honestly tell me that a Shazam/Martian Manhunter/Flash team up one off movie wouldn't make bank? It doesn't have to be Batman every single time. Team ups would do fine I'm sure. And if Batman is there, team him up with a different member of the JL every time or something. Keep it fresh.

Last edited by a moderator:

EmaHalJordan

I think this ComicCon will be an interesting year for announcements of future animated movies
They will be movies of the year of Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad!
We may have more than 3 titles!

I'm bored of solo films of Batman and Superman! Prefer a new Batman/Superman team-up movie. Also might try to sell to Wonder Woman and make Batman/Wonder Woman Hiketeia
It would also be interesting Justice League The Nail, Batman/Green Lantern Lords of Luck (first arc of the last title of Brave and the Bold), Superman & Hawkman: The Thanagar War (original movie), Green Lantern & Green Arrow: Hard Traveling Heroes, Batman/Atom (original team-up movie).

Batman66
is interesting but i hope to see Batgirl!

Frontier

Staff member
Yeah, I definitely think the build-up is to something Luthor is concocting and that seems to involve gathering Supervillains. It would be cool if they formed a team featuring a big member of each Leaguer's Rogues Gallery and that they get introduced in a movie beforehand. Like, have Cheetah pop up in a Wonder Woman-focused movie, or Sinestro in a Green Lantern-focused movie, and Black Adam or The Rogues in a Shazam or Flash-focused movie :cool:.

Indeed, would love to see a take on Batman Inc. since we only had the Batmen of All Nations for a cold open on TB&TB. And the rest of the Bat-Family. I wonder how they would introduce the latter. Considering Damian's age, Batman has been operating for about a decade but no other costumes in that case other than Batman and Robin. I suppose they would/will introduce characters like Batgirl, Red Robin, Red Hood, Batwoman as associates and not direct proteges like Nightwing and Robin were.
Well,... it's never exactly been said that Dick was the only other Robin, even if there was only one suit and no mention of a legacy of Robins, but I might see the writers retconning one into the universe to easily introduce Tim or Jason. We also haven't seen any one else aside from Nightwing, true, but that could easily be rectified by just having them pop up in one movie like they'd always been active in Gotham :sweat:.

I think if Batgirl does turn up eventually, then they'll probably put her as being one of Batman's old proteges and as being active around when Dick was Robin, if they use her at all. They could also go with the Killing Joke scenario where she lost the use of her legs thanks to the Joker, but eventually regained the use of them to become Batgirl again around the time Damian becomes Robin :).

I would have gotten a kick out of him voicing a Big Bad like Darkseid. But I could see him as a Bat villain like Riddler or Two-Face.
We've seen both Joker and Two-Face make cameos in the movies...maybe that's building up to bigger appearances down the line ;)?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Yeah, I definitely think the build-up is to something Luthor is concocting and that seems to involve gathering Supervillains. It would be cool if they formed a team featuring a big member of each Leaguer's Rogues Gallery and that they get introduced in a movie beforehand. Like, have Cheetah pop up in a Wonder Woman-focused movie, or Sinestro in a Green Lantern-focused movie, and Black Adam or The Rogues in a Shazam or Flash-focused movie :cool:.
Agreed, agreed, agreed!

Well,... it's never exactly been said that Dick was the only other Robin, even if there was only one suit and no mention of a legacy of Robins, but I might see the writers retconning one into the universe to easily introduce Tim or Jason. We also haven't seen any one else aside from Nightwing, true, but that could easily be rectified by just having them pop up in one movie like they'd always been active in Gotham :sweat:.
True, it has been implication. Maybe he keeps Jason's Robin costume in a separate chamber, like in the Under the Hood version, in a sub-level we haven't seen. 2 or 3 movies it's a retcon; ongoing continuity - it was all planned from the start! :p

I think if Batgirl does turn up eventually, then they'll probably put her as being one of Batman's old proteges and as being active around when Dick was Robin, if they use her at all. They could also go with the Killing Joke scenario where she lost the use of her legs thanks to the Joker, but eventually regained the use of them to become Batgirl again around the time Damian becomes Robin :).
Well, there's 3 Batgirls they could pick from. I guess it depends on the story and what they're planning going froward with the Batman movies.

We've seen both Joker and Two-Face make cameos in the movies...maybe that's building up to bigger appearances down the line ;)?
The fact Joker was in Arkham during SOB and a certain someone appeared at the start of BVR, a certain Scott Snyder arc popped in my head that serve as inspiration for a Batman movie. But in the same vein, I can understand them shying away from using Joker since they just used him in Assault in Arkham and The Dark Knight Returns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts