The balloons in the Macy's parade becoming unpopular?

wiley207

This morning I was watching the opening to the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade on NBC, and unlike other times they'd announce so, here they instead just say "World's greatest character balloons," right before announcing Santa Claus. The way they said it, it almost sounds like they don't care about the huge balloons anymore on the parade, treating them like a minor side-event instead!

I am shocked by this. I thought the balloons was one of the major traditions! But now it seems to just be all about musical numbers and interviews...

Aquadementia

That's a lot of Mulaney!
Staff member
Just saw the Adventure Time balloon. OOO!
It was right after Gru and the Minions float.

We're lucky we get balloons at all this year because of wind warnings. The look lower as a result.

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
They care; quit panicking. There was nothing different in the presentation between this year and the last. I would know.

wiley207

They care; quit panicking. There was nothing different in the presentation between this year and the last. I would know.

Sorry, what I meant to say it as, previously until last year, they'd announce all the new balloons or even all the ones that would be presented. But this year and last, they did not; instead they just said "and the World's greatest character balloons," as if they were just getting them out of the way.

Also worth of note is when the Sesame Street float was on, they played the 1992-2006 Sesame Street closing credits theme! I thought that hasn't been used for six years now (maybe they need to switch to a newer recording to make it more up-to-date...)

Jean74

Valentine's Day 2024!
Yeah as remembered watching these parades as a kid. As they were so much fun. Surprised that the wind and rain even did not blow down the parade. Macy's keeps going on the parade thing. Rain, shine, or snow no matter what. They keep on going.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts