Why should SpongeBob SquarePants end?

wammyguide

I always hear so many people say that SpongeBob SquarePants needs to end, or else Nickelodeon will keep getting worse and worse. But here is why I think everyone's opinions on the show are faulty.

1) SpongeBob SquarePants didn't "ruin" Nickelodeon. Sure, I do agree it shouldn't air a lot, but lead to the death of an ENTIRE NETWORK? This a load of BS if you ask me! What Nickelodeon needs to do is 1) have more variety and 2) are more original shows than spin-offs or acquired shows.

2) The show still has fans. Honestly, the show still gets ratings and money, it still has a big fanbase, and fan sites like SpongeBuddy Mania and SpongeBob Universe are still pretty active to this day. So saying it should end even though it still has fans is really selfish.

3) This is what REALLY gets me. Many people say that SpongeBob SquarePants has been running too long and had it's time, yet shows like The Simpsons, Saturday Night Live, Seasame Street, Doctor Who, Pokémon, and many other shows have been running much longer, yet not only do not many complain about them still running, but most people actually WANT to see them continue. So tell, why should SpongeBob SquarePants end, yet shows which have been running much longer continue? Tell me, I really want to know.

CoolEric158

She rocks both ways.
I don't know about you, but I hear complaints about The Simpsons still running all the time. Most fans complain that the show should have ended over a decade ago.

wammyguide

I don't know about you, but I hear complaints about The Simpsons still running all the time. Most fans complain that the show should have ended over a decade ago.

True, but in my opinion, more people want the show to continue rather than ending. SpongeBob SquarePants is worse for that matter.

J21697

Some people want it to end because the quality has went down, but they fail to look at the fact that Spongebob continues to make loads of money for the network, and the show is still getting video game deals, toy deals, etc. Just a few weeks ago, Activision/Nickelodeon announced a multi-year agreement to develop and publish video games featuring the Sponge.

ChildHood90s

Loves his coffee
Well. Given your examples, here's my opinion. While not all of those long running shows are as good as they were in their heyday (much like Spongebob), people hate on the yellow sponge because it is the most played show on Nickelodeon.

These days, the quality of Spongebob (whether it has gotten better, or worse) is sort of irrelevant? Spongebob is a highly successful show now, and -easily- recognizable among kids and adults. Nick makes BIG bucks off the Sponge. The reason people wish for Spongebob to end (and this is just a guess)... is most likely due to the "ratings collapse" that happened to Nickelodeon last year. Nick was heavily relying on Spongebob during that time, and that hasn't changed all that much.

ILDC

Some people want it to end because the quality has went down, but they fail to look at the fact that Spongebob continues to make loads of money for the network, and the show is still getting video game deals, toy deals, etc. Just a few weeks ago, Activision/Nickelodeon announced a multi-year agreement to develop and publish video games featuring the Sponge.
I've seen plenty of long-ended shows still get licensing deals. And besides, didn't the creator want to end the show after the movie?

wammyguide

I've seen plenty of long-ended shows still get licensing deals. And besides, didn't the creator want to end the show after the movie?

Whoever made up that silly rumor is a complete idiot, 'cause that's not what really happened. Here's the true story. Back in 2002, Season 3 was still in production, and The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie was set to be released in 2 years. However, Stephen Hillenburg who was also the show runner at the time, wanted a break, so he left the series, and gave the postition of show runner to Paul Tibbitt. Many people thought the show would end because of that, so many people decided to make petitions for the show to continue. Due to continued fan support, Nickelodeon decided to renew it for a 4th season 2 months before the movie was released. Stephen Hillenburg also decided to return, but this time as executive producer, and let Paul Tibbitt remain as show runner.
There, that's what REALLY happened. If you don't believe me, you're left to your own devices on that one.

J21697

How much money did Disney/ABC pay those psychologists?

This report came out days before Nickelodeon's ratings started to drop. Coincidence?

ILDC

Whoever made up that silly rumor is a complete idiot, 'cause that's not what really happened. Here's the true story. Back in 2002, Season 3 was still in production, and The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie was set to be released in 2 years. However, Stephen Hillenburg who was also the show runner at the time, wanted a break, so he left the series, and gave the postition of show runner to Paul Tibbitt. Many people thought the show would end because of that, so many people decided to make petitions for the show to continue. Due to continued fan support, Nickelodeon decided to renew it for a 4th season 2 months before the movie was released. Stephen Hillenburg also decided to return, but this time as executive producer, and let Paul Tibbitt remain as show runner.
There, that's what REALLY happened. If you don't believe me, you're left to your own devices on that one.
Then why did the movie come off as a finale?

firefoxprime

90s = Golden Years
Don't even believe that. It's a load of stupidity. Not all kids became that like because of SpongeBob SquarePants.

Well. We know what show they were watchin....

You are what you eat right? What you consume = what you put out. So if you view garbage, then.....

I like spongebob. Never "grew out of it" so that arguement is not from me. I'm a pre-movie fan. The characters are the same. The location is the same.. The animation style is the same. Only difference is the execution of jokes and types of humor. I can easily tell which "era" an episode is from. Whether 2002 or 2012

ToonJay723

Staff member
How much money did Disney/ABC pay those psychologists?

This report came out days before Nickelodeon's ratings started to drop. Coincidence?

What makes you think Disney had anything to do with this.

J21697

ABC news was the first one to report the story. Just researched more about the topic, and most of the articles link back to ABC, or are quoting ABC's Nightline.

I'm asking the question if Disney paid the phycologists, because obviously Disney and Viacom are competitors, and this research happened just literally days before Nick's huge decline started to occur, mind you Spongebob's ratings were declining too. I just find it...weird. Now, I know the finding can't be the sole reason of Sponge's decline, but does anyone think it played a part? There are some crazy parents out there..

Anyway, I'm going off topic. Back to the main question: Why should Spongebob end?

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts