Never-made shows/movies that you wish were made

TenPoundHammer

Wheel of Fortune winner, 12/8/17
Lots and lots of shows, TV series, etc. get talked about, planned, etc., and are either never started, or started but never finished. What un-made works do you wish had been made?

Here are some of mine:

* Pixar pulled Newt because they thought it would be too similar to Rio. I still would've liked to see what they'd do with it, and keep in mind I really liked Rio.

* 20th Century Fox wanted to adapt the children's novel The Wainscott Weasel. This book was a childhood favorite of a friend, and she recommended it to me. I highly recommend the book if you haven't read it — it has a ton of charm, great characterization, and really holds up well from an adult perspective. I think that, in the right hands, a movie adaptation could've done it justice.

* A friend of mine did a furry black-and-white space comic called Tales from the Aniverse in the 1980s. He said that he was approached by DreamWorks to provide a treatment for a movie adaptation, but they thought the treatment was too confusing, and that was the end of that.

* The Bone movie idea that's been floating around since forever. I loved Bone ever since the reprints in Disney Adventures, but never got my hand on the actual issues until recently.

SF4Ever

I've got plenty of examples of animated TV shows that have yet to be produced:

Jack Kirby Never-Animated Characters To Be Revived - Bleeding Cool Comic Book, Movies and TV News and Rumors

In the above link, that's some leftover work from Jack Kirby that Ruby-Spears dusted off and is still utilizing at last count. Also, there's some animated images of Indiana Jones, designed by Patrick Schoenmaker that Lucasfilm Animation can definitely use for future projects with the legendary and famed archaeologist/adventurer. Getting back to the above link, Ruby-Spears' suitors have shifted, and both Cartoon Network and Disney Channel are clearly the most likely to air R-S' work(remember, Ruby-Spears is still in operation and is independently owned by R-S Holdings). Speaking of Disney, we talk about Indiana Jones in animation, I really think it can work with some modifications in compliance with Standards & Practices. In this thread, I see plenty of potential and I can see Disney Channel running both Lucasfilm Animation's Indiana Jones: The Animated Adventures and Ruby-Spears' Roxie's Raiders in the same hour on Saturday mornings. There are too many animated properties on the table and rather than wasting time waiting for something better to come along, play the hand you're dealt and get the programs that are still on the table made, right away. Like they say in life, you'll never know about what's on the table until you give it a chance.

StellaMagic

Here's what I wish they would make: a Monsters Inc movie that explains what monsters do when they are banished, like a movie where Randall meets a lost group of monsters protected by a human girl in the Everglades.

ShadowBlinky

I can't help wondering what "Chip N' Dale Rescue Rangers: The Movie" would have been like, but since "DuckTales the Movie" fizzled, Disney pulled the plug on it.

Dr.Pepper

What was that Mickey Mouse 75th Anniversary movie called again? It was about him getting lost and they had to find him and it was a big crossover between all the canon movies. I thought that seemed like a cool idea.

CartoonFridays

Promoted to detective.
Well, before the studio closed, Warner Bros.-Seven Arts were going to make TV shows based on Lil' Abner and Keystone Kops, as well as ideas with characters called "Super Snooper" and "Jolly Roger". I would have liked to see what they might have been like.

Dantheman

Gee, I never thought about that...
I read that back in the late '90s or so Fox Kids was planning on making a Star Wars Young Jedi Knights series based on the young adult novels of the same name, following the adventures of Han and Leia's children as they learn to become Jedi Knights. I'm okay it didn't get made, since it probably would've required a bit of SW Expanded Universe knowledge to get into, but it would've been neat to see, none the less.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if that's another SW animated series idea besides Rebels we'll see from Disney sometime in the future.

CoolEric158

She rocks both ways.
I know this is a cliche answer, but The Thief and the Cobbler. The animation alone is just gorgeous, and if it was closer to Williams' vision, this probably would have been one of the greatest works of animation, and it's a shame it was wasted on such horrible cuts from Fred Calvert and Miramax.

Getouttamylab!

Was a coiled up attack snake before it was cool
Hey Arnold's Grand Finale movie. It would have involved Arnold finding out what happened to his parents, and how the Arnold/Helga relationship would have ended up. It wound up canned because Nickelodeon found out that Craig Bartlett was writing a pilot for Cartoon Network if I read correctly.

DonkeyKongSong

The TMNT '03 episode "Nightmares Recycled". Apparently, it involved Hun and the Garbageman as conjoined, "Siamese" twins. A script was written and some animation had begun, but FOX's S&P said they wouldn't air it, so 4Kids pulled the plug on it.

Also, in Pokémon, the GS Ball was supposed to be part of a story arc in Johto that involved Celebi, but due to staff insistence that this be shelved and Celebi be the star of Movie 4... well, that's what happened.

Last edited by a moderator:

ShadowBlinky

Also, in Pokémon, the GS Ball was supposed to be part of a story arc in Johto that involved Celebi, but due to staff insistence that this be shelved and Celebi be the star of Movie 4... well, that's what happened.

I wondered about that. Thanks.

Light Lucario

Staff member

That's true. They also decided to not bring it up again because they didn't think that the audience would remember the GS Ball, if I recall correctly. I don't think it would have been more than a mini-arc in the middle of Johto, but it would have been interesting to see what they did with the GS Ball after how long they built it up from the Orange Island to the start of Johto.

Silverstar

Jet Flyin', Limousine Ridin'
Hey Arnold's Grand Finale movie. It would have involved Arnold finding out what happened to his parents, and how the Arnold/Helga relationship would have ended up. It wound up canned because Nickelodeon found out that Craig Bartlett was writing a pilot for Cartoon Network if I read correctly.

I thought the 2nd Hey, Arnold! movie was scrapped because the 1st one under-performed at the box office.

Tommy Lawson

Staff member
Earlier this year, I found this Deviantart page with a drawing from Disney's proposed animated Power Rangers series. Looking at the way they market Ultimate Spider-man and Marvel's Avengers Assemble now, an animated Power Rangers series probably would have been marketed the same way by Disney IMO. Obviously, it won't happen now that Power Rangers has been sold to Saban Brands.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I thought the 2nd Hey, Arnold! movie was scrapped because the 1st one under-performed at the box office.

That was probably a factor at least. I don't know about the pilot for Cartoon Network conflict though. Still, it would have been really nice to see that movie. It would have provided a nice conclusion to the series and it probably would have turned out better than the actual movie we got. It wasn't bad, but it did feel like an episode in movie form.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
How about The Young Astronauts? It never aired and production ended because of the disaster with Challenger.

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
How about The Young Astronauts? It never aired and production ended because of the disaster with Challenger.

How late was it pulled? I think they actually did finish it and we're talking about things that weren't made, not never aired. It's included in a print ad for the 1986 CBS Saturday Morning season.

Dantheman

Gee, I never thought about that...

I've heard about this. Apparently it would've been an animated cartoon/comic tie-in between Marvel and Sunbow, but of course it got scrubbed because of the Challenger disaster. I haven't read anything more about it than that, Some extra info would be nice.

CLXcool

The bone movie is still happening from what I have heard. Only thing is its being done by the studio that made Happy feet. I have mixed feelings about that but I will save that for another time. As for shows and movies I wished that happened. One thing comes to mind for shows. I do wish that Disney went with the original idea for 'Quack Pack' instead of making it too hip for anyone to enjoy. I still question how the nephews talked in normal voices over their 'ducky' voices. I would have preferred the original idea of it being more of a sequel to Ducktales(which is what the creators wanted to do) but instead were forced by Disney to make it more hip.

A few animated movies that never happened that came to mind are John K and Ralph Bakshi's Bobby's girl, Brad Bird's The Spirit, Uli Meyer's The Duck to name a few. I know a Ralph Bakshi and John K teaming up to do a movie would be amazing(I know they teamed up to do a music video that had animation and live-action). Brad Bird's take on The Spirit would have been more true to the original comics compared to what Frank Miller did. Uli Meyer's The Duck interests me a lot. I know Uli mentioned he made 10 minutes of it for pitching it as a film.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts