Equestria Girls - News and Discussion Thread

FlooterFlatter

One Sly Princess
Staff member
So yeah, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic will get a spin-off called Equestria Girls. It will involve human versions of the characters.

It was confirmed in Kidscreen Magazine (see scan here). According to the article, it will debut in Spring 2014.

Don't worry. FiM won't go away, yet. The two shows will run concurrently.

The Huntsman

Friend of Toon Zone
I didn't want to believe. I will not watch this out of principle. I can only hope that Hasbro will be too busy meddling in this show and will leave season four of Friendship Is Magic well enough alone.

soundmonkey44

Melancholic Man.
@Huntsman: I dunno it could be a decent toon. Again its just a spin-off more of an expirement then anything else, but I do agree odds are Hasbro will be much more hands on with this then MLP:FIM. You know i kind of like this though, Hasbro's popular IPs getting multiple toons, TF has Prime *or soon to be Prime:Beast Hunters* and Rescue Bots, now MLP has FIM & EQG, maybe we can get a new G.I.Joe cartoon up eventually as well!? *yeah probably not but I can dream*

Anywho I will go into this series with very VERY cautious optimism & low expectations. Could at the very least be like LPS, nothing great or horrid, just something to have on as background noise once & awhile.

But yeah the article also mentioned they are determined to keep friendship is magic going for quite some time, so thats good. But I digress look forward to getting more info on this and season 4 of FIM as the year progresses!

The Huntsman

Friend of Toon Zone
@Huntsman: I dunno it could be a decent toon.
That wouldn't matter to me. These will not be the same characters. Even if they try to get the same writers and voice actresses, they will be fundamentally different. The tone of the show will be fundamentally different. I am not a fan of humanized fan art. People who are - who have always imagined what the characters would be like as humans - they'll love this. But it's not for me. That thought has never once crossed my mind and I like them as ponies.

soundmonkey44

Melancholic Man.
That wouldn't matter to me. These will not be the same characters. Even if they try to get the same writers and voice actresses, they will be fundamentally different. The tone of the show will be fundamentally different. I am not a fan of humanized fan art. People who are - who have always imagined what the characters would be like as humans - they'll love this. But it's not for me. That thought has never once crossed my mind and I like them as ponies.

OK I can respect that, And I agree they are much better as ponies. But again i'm willing to give the spin-off a chance, if its actually good i'll be pleasently suprised, if its just a cheapo Monster High/Bratz rip-off with Humanized ponies, i'll ignore it.

Also I wonder what Spike will look like in this show? I imagine he'll either be a the nerdy guy that likes Rarity or the Shy jock that likes Rarity but acts like he doesn't XD.

Oh and Trixie they must humanize Trixie as well!

CoolEric158

She rocks both ways.
I was very much against it at first, but looking back, I was being immature. I acted like this with Friendship is Magic and I've been watching it for months. It was also hypocritical of my usual optimistic self, so I'll see a few episodes, see if I like it, and if I don't, I won't watch it again.

zoombie

This sounds like this show is going to be another take on the franchise, like Rescue Bots.

soundmonkey44

Melancholic Man.
This sounds like this show is going to be another take on the franchise, like Rescue Bots.

Yeah basically the reverse of the TF:prime/Rescue Bots thing, MLP is still a "young girls" IP to hasbro & Equestria Girls will be for older girls. Spin-off's Spin-offs everywhere! XD

zoombie

Hopefully it will be good, and have some of the magic and fantasy of the FiM, and won't be as bad as the Rugrats spinoff All Grown Up. That is one show that comes to mind because it also began with a tv movie and seeing the old characters in new forms.

Psychopulse

Parting is such sweet sorrow
I didn't want to believe. I will not watch this out of principle. I can only hope that Hasbro will be too busy meddling in this show and will leave season four of Friendship Is Magic well enough alone.

This. I refuse to watch this for this reason. I was hoping this was fake info... :(

Jave

Beware of the SPLAT
Staff member
Reporter
The Mission: Now known as the "Humane 6", our heroines will have double identities as a popular music band and they will solve mysteries in their spare time.

Monte

I was very much against it at first, but looking back, I was being immature. I acted like this with Friendship is Magic and I've been watching it for months. It was also hypocritical of my usual optimistic self, so I'll see a few episodes, see if I like it, and if I don't, I won't watch it again.

Very true. One thing that MLP:FIM proved is that you should not pre-judge a show. I mean I have low expecations at the moment since the first thing i think of when I see this show is shows like moster high which I found to be rather unappealing. But with better writing and direction, the show could turn out good. At the moment, i remain not optimistic, but i will not dismiss the show.

The Mission: Now known as the "Humane 6", our heroines will have double identities as a popular music band and they will solve mysteries in their spare time.

Heh, or perhaps they will turn out to be [strike]magical girls[/strike] superhero's =p
Someone call up Greg Weisman and Gail Simone!

Sketch

not like those other old guys
I think I just threw up a little in my mouth at the very idea that this will be a show.

Getting over that initial shock... Seems like their answer to Monster High. I'm kind of put off by the non-human skin colors but I guess it works in a Doug sort of way but that's another reason it makes me think of Monster High.

Honestly I can't hardly believe this is going to happen. Fanfiction and fanart is one thing but for this to be professionally produced is just bizarre.

I'm sure we can all see the marketing reasons behind this. They could have made a new series to sell another line of toys, dolls in particular but they know these characters are popular and they know some people like the idea of having them as humanoids. All the potential merchandise from this is plenty enough reason to try it but I never would have imagined they'd actually do it officially.

This may not turn out awful. If it's anything like 6Teen I may very well enjoy it. I can't say I'm up to date with MLP:FIM at the moment but I'm a bit concerned these humanoid ponies will be more focused on getting boyfriends than their pony counter-parts like every other show about high school friends.

My Little Girls: High School is Like Tragic

FlooterFlatter

One Sly Princess
Staff member
The designs are pretty awful, though. Unless they change it, I'm gonna have a very hard time giving this a chance, even if the writing is good.

I've seen humanized fanarts better drawn than the leaked picture.

BonnieB21:-)

Where Have The Unicorns Gone

When I first read about the Equestria Girls spin off I thought for sure it would be an opportunity for MLP to bring back Megan, Molly, and Daniel. Megan & Sundance were the first human & pony set. Molly & Baby Sundance were the second. Danny was the brother who was show only and never had a big brother pony. This seems like it'll still be the case, in the alleged humanized cast photo we see the "girls" in a human school.

This is a big move for Hasbro- they haven't had a fashion doll line since JEM and Maxie. The skin tones are pastel in keeping with their pony origins. Equestria Girls seems like it's direct competition will be Monster High and not Barbie. Or maybe the Winx Club. It has the potential to be very magical girl anime.

If Twilight and Rarity still retain their magic, what will the other ponies have? I see no wings on Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy and what skills will set Pinkie Pie and Apple Jack apart? Did Discord change all of Ponyland into human Earth or did he send the ponies to Earth? Hopefully in 2014 we'll find out at the same time we get a new GI Joe show.

Jave

Beware of the SPLAT
Staff member
Reporter
The designs are pretty awful, though. Unless they change it, I'm gonna have a very hard time giving this a chance, even if the writing is good.

I've seen humanized fanarts better drawn than the leaked picture.
Yeah, I'm all for giving the show a fair shot, but the character design is a huge turnoff right now. It reminds me of Bratz Dolls.

GWOtaku

Staff member
Reporter
Ah, to be a fly on the wall in the room when the people in charge decided that all you have to do to make My Little Pony appealing for older girls is to attach the brand to a show with human(ized) characters. I don't see it.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts