"DC Universe" Animated Feature News & Discussion Thread, Part 7 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gravitea

1) Makes sense that Jason O'Mara would be voicing Batman since there would be many movies based on the New 52

2) Sounds interesting to see. Looking forward to Aquaman being the star of the movie

3) That had been my hunch since The Flashpoint Paradox. Looking forward to see which stories they would adapt.

4) Liked the looks so far, so it's good

5) After many standalone films, I support this

6) Looking forward to these titles being animated, especially Gotham by Gaslight and Red Son

7) I wonder which ones would be adapted? Maybe Kingdom Come?

9) I wonder if it would be based more on the DCAU version or the current comics?

btgr

Batgirl/Barbara Gordon and Blue Beetle/Jaime Reyes could possibly get their own movies under the "Justice League" title.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
Yeah... don't forget these voice actors will be sticking with the characters for a while if possible, so it's reasonable it's for a 2015 feature as well.

I do think the Batman and Son movie is more expansive than just Grant Morrison's first arc, so Dick could feasibly be making an appearance.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Yes, keep in mind they already started recording for the 2015 slate in July 2013 so Maher could have done something else besides this year's two Batman titles.

Nightwing26

I'm good with more Dick Grayson. While Assault on Arkham and Batman and Son are two possibilities, I'd be pretty sad if one of them is the feature he's talking about. Not because I don't want Dick to be in as many places as possible because I do want that, it's just I was hoping for it to actually be one that hasn't been announced, possibly with Dick in a starring role as opposed to just a secondary role that he would receive in the two features coming out this year. Dick starring in something would tie-in to whatever is happening after Forever Evil in the comics and with DC's trademarks and parents for Nightwing paraphernalia and merchandise.

CyberCubed

How much longer are these DC universe movies gong to go on for? I mean they started back in 2006 with Superman: Doomsday which means they have an impressive 8 year run.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
How much longer are these DC universe movies going to go on for?
As long as "they" tell Sam Register and James Tucker to make more, perpetually.

In plain terms, ignoring whatever list of factors "they" look at, each movie has to make back more than their budget of about $1 million. Unfortunately, we the laymen only have access to partial data and do not have access to total sales numbers counting physical sales, rentals, digital sales, and the like, to gauge if the DC Universe line is doing well and are typically at the mercy of press release announcements and convention or event-generated news to learn if there will be more movies. Luckily, Super PR guy Gary Miereanu has been forthcoming (more than the typical PR jockey) and on occasion throws hints on his twitter account or during convention panels about behind the scenes production (i.e. 'voice recording on DCU movie #20 has begun') enough for us to figure out how ahead they are and at least how many more movies we'll see.

Lighthammer

Bringer of the Light
Dunno if this has been stated before or not, but in this vid, James Tucker states that every year 2 of the features will be within the same continuity, while the 3rd will be an "offshoot"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWU428ZUlOs

That's a nice change of pace. Glad that's fully confirmed.

As long as "they" tell Sam Register and James Tucker to make more, perpetually.

In plain terms, ignoring whatever list of factors "they" look at, each movie has to make back more than their budget of about $1 million. Unfortunately, we the laymen only have access to partial data and do not have access to total sales numbers counting physical sales, rentals, digital sales, and the like, to gauge if the DC Universe line is doing well and are typically at the mercy of press release announcements and convention or event-generated news to learn if there will be more movies. Luckily, Super PR guy Gary Miereanu has been forthcoming (more than the typical PR jockey) and on occasion throws hints on his twitter account or during convention panels about behind the scenes production (i.e. 'voice recording on DCU movie #20 has begun') enough for us to figure out how ahead they are and at least how many more movies we'll see.

I'll toss this out; I've said this in another thread but its probably good to repeat it here:

I really think DC is actually crippling themselves by the release schedule they currently have. If they took some queues regarding consistency from a company like WIzards of the coast and said "Ok, we're releasing a new movie the 3rd weekend of every month (or every other month)" I think they would actually see a huge increase in their sales, ESPECIALLY if they are monetizing with related releases.

The 3rd weekend of each month has always been a very specific target in the world of retail because its statically wen people tend to feel they have the most disposable income. The 1st week and 4th week tend to be caught up in the crunch of bills and the 2nd week tends to be catchup for the 1st week. If the DVDs religiously coming out the 3rd week on a fixed schedule and DC had a great campaign to make sure people knew this and they had some great attachments to go with each video, they could be making a mint.

Hero Supreme

Mr Jinx No More
Its an interesting facet that Son of Batman is set in the "new 52" continuity even though Batman and Son is not. I suppose that means that upcoming "in continuity" movies are not necessarily restricted to the new 52 line. The problem is, I am not sure fans would be as open to looser adaptations of classics like The Long Halloween as they seem to be to the changes in Son of Batman.

That being said, I am guessing that 2015's lineup will be Throne of Atlantis, Court of Owls, and Red Son.

Others I hope eventually get made, that I think actually have a chance are Justice, The Killing Joke, Hush, The Long Halloween. I would like to see Kingdom Come, but chances for that seem slim.

Lighthammer

Bringer of the Light
Its an interesting facet that Son of Batman is set in the "new 52" continuity even though Batman and Son is not. I suppose that means that upcoming "in continuity" movies are not necessarily restricted to the new 52 line. The problem is, I am not sure fans would be as open to looser adaptations of classics like The Long Halloween as they seem to be to the changes in Son of Batman.

That being said, I am guessing that 2015's lineup will be Throne of Atlantis, Court of Owls, and Red Son.

Others I hope eventually get made, that I think actually have a chance are Justice, The Killing Joke, Hush, The Long Halloween. I would like to see Kingdom Come, but chances for that seem slim.

We already know that Justice League War wasn't in New 52 continuity, wasn't intended to be and wasn't trying to be straight out of the box. Its just borrowing some from it. In continuity is, well in Tuckverse as it were.

Primal Slayer

WB needs to make a Batgirl centric dtv under Batmans name and another WW centric movie under JLs name. Time to bring the females back to the front.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
WB needs to make a Batgirl centric dtv under Batmans name and another WW centric movie under JLs name. Time to bring the females back to the front.

Not going to happen:

images

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I suppose that means that upcoming "in continuity" movies are not necessarily restricted to the new 52 line.
They already said this was going to happen.

My guesses are Throne of Atlantis, Hush, and a Superman movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts