Toon Zone Talkback - Toonzone News Interviews Michael DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko, Co-Creators of

Ed Liu

Frog of Thunder
Staff member
Reporter
This is the talkback thread for Toonzone News Interviews Michael DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko, Co-Creators of "The Legend of Korra".

splash-mikebryankorra.jpg

Was kind of last minute because of personal matters, but I did get some answers to questions I wanted to know about, and at least made a best effort to ask the question everyone else wants to know the answer to.

Neo Yi

Joustus!
Staff member
Reporter
TOONZONE NEWS: So what happened to Zuko's mom (even if I may be the only Avatar the Last Airbender fan who really doesn't mind not knowing the answer to this question)?

"May" is right; I don't particularly care to know the fate of Zuko's mother either. ^^

GWOtaku

Staff member
Reporter
Interesting to hear about how the show's going for a multiple-arc plot structure. I'm already getting curious about where things could go beyond Amon & the equalists and how Korra might be challenged when (if?) she figures out airbending by the end of book 1.

I was convincing myself that "The Promise" graphic novel was going to answer the oft-asked question about Zuko's mom, but they didn't plug it so now I'm not sure. Hmmmm. Could be they're don't want to give away the knowledge that an answer is coming though.

And yeah, I want to know...Zuko has Iroh, yes, but she's the one member of his immediate family that actually treated him like family. As a Zuko fan, I'd like him to achieve that final bit of closure.

Mega props to Nick for letting them do the show they wanted. Lord knows they earned it. Considering how well the fanbase seems to have received Korra, I daresay the "conventional Hollywood wisdom" was just thoroughly subverted by this show. Well, almost. Ratings are the final test I suppose.

Back in Janurary Nick said on twitter there were options to greenlight even more episodes...here's hoping for more than two books. :)

Ed Liu

Frog of Thunder
Staff member
Reporter
How could they not have an answer for Zuko's Mom's status after over 4 years! This is so aggravating.

I don't think it's that they DON'T have an answer. I'm sure that they have one, but that they don't want to give it to us yet. Which, come to think of it, is probably MORE aggravating if you care about the answer.

So, uh, never mind ;).

I also admit I was secretly hoping that Eva Marie Saint was either 1) an Avatar fan who approached them, or 2) got asked to do it by her grandkids or something. The former was how one of the Williams sisters (Venus?) was cast as Uncle Iroh's prison guard in "Day of Black Sun," after all.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I think it's interesting that they've made the two books more as stand-alone seasons with some connections leading to the second book unlike with the last series having three seasons planned out from the start. That should certainly help to make Korra feel more unique compared the The Last Airbender. Though, I wonder how they could resolve the anti-bending revolution within this first book, especially if Korra does learn Airbending. I definitely hope that Nick orders more episodes as the series progresses.

I also would like to know what happened to Zuko's Mom. I just think it would be nice to see Zuko find his mother after being separated from her for years and see how their reunion affects both of them. I could see it being answered in the comic series at some point, if not in its own animated special.

FriendlyMushroom

Knight of Sidonia
How could they not have an answer for Zuko's Mom's status after over 4 years! This is so aggravating.

Honestly, at this point, would any answer be satisfying? It may be wiser to leave fans to settle upon whatever they want Zuko's conclusion to be, rather than risk upsetting fans with a disappointing tale.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Honestly, at this point, would any answer be satisfying? It may be wiser to leave fans to settle upon whatever they want Zuko's conclusion to be, rather than risk upsetting fans with a disappointing tale.

I've thought about that as well, especially after the reactions I've seen from how they mentioned Zuko's Mom in the first episode of Korra. Personally, I think that it would be better to have some kind of storyline to resolve that issue, instead of leaving it up to fans to speculate. I'd imagine that there would be more people complaining about not having that question answered than there would be if the story didn't meet their expectations.

ToonsLover

Lover of Toons
I like the idea of making a TV special about it. That would be very cool. Maybe have Katara tell the story?

zoombie

I like the idea of making a TV special about it. That would be very cool. Maybe have Katara tell the story?

Do you mean old lady Katara telling the story to her grandkids?

Anyway I saw Michael DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko interview on Nickelodeon, and they mention they made the new lead a female and said how a lot of characters from the original series were female. They mentioned by name Katara, Toph, and Azula, you don't think Korra personality could be a combination fo the three?

She could have Katara's heart and water tribe ties, Toph's rebellish attitude, and Azula arrogance and temper. Though admitly Katara does have a temper of her own, and Toph can be arrogant also.

Light Lucario

Staff member
ToonsLover said:

I would like a TV special about Zuko's Mom too, although a part of me thinks that there's a better chance that it would be done in a comic book instead. Still, it would be fun to see and Katara telling the story would be kind of interesting.

Anyway I saw Michael DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko interview on Nickelodeon, and they mention they made the new lead a female and said how a lot of characters from the original series were female. They mentioned by name Katara, Toph, and Azula, you don't think Korra personality could be a combination fo the three?

She could have Katara's heart and water tribe ties, Toph's rebellish attitude, and Azula arrogance and temper. Though admitly Katara does have a temper of her own, and Toph can be arrogant also.

I can see a bit of Katara and Toph's personality traits in Korra, but I don't really see much of Azula in her temper and definitely not her arrogance. Korra has a temper, but it seems more her own rather than something along the lines of what Azula had in her behavior.

suss2it

I think if they want to tell that story, they should and not worry about upsetting a few fans.

ferrisjso

After the first two eps of Korra it seems like the creators are planning to deal with this some point in Legend of Korra and might even tie it into the plot.The way Katara was cut off when about to tell the story makes it seem that this is not the last we've heard about the Zuko Mom contreversy.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

also, I don't know if can ever look at any of the shows connected to Dan Schneider in a good light ever again. some of the actors are ok with us still enjoying them but I don't know if I can get past it.
as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

I knew about the promotional cans but I'm just seeing this ad for the first time. I love seeing Daredevil pushed by Marvel.
Notable moment from The Rock.

Featured Posts