Rejected DC Comics Designs and Show Pitches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn Hopkins

TZ Member of the Year 2013

theRedDeath

Yeah, we already covered this in the other topic. Here's my post revealing the news and it even includes his original comments:

CANCELLED!??!

Character designer Coran Stone revealed in his DeviantArt gallery that HE was selected by James Tucker to do the character designs for Tucker's new Batman show, but CN cancelled the project because it was "too dark". This is what he had to say:

"So James the Terrifically talented Tucker producer of "The Brave and Bold" series was starting work on the new Bat show and decided to take a chance on the new guy....Me! So I became character designer. I was floored as **** and had a ton of ideas for the darknight and fellers so I spent about 4 or 5 monthes cranking out a ton of of batty shizz! I did way more than any man should ever do and worked sometimes two nights straight without sleep on that stuff.

This is the sucky part> Unfortunately one of the heads at cartoon network felt that the concept was to dark and it got scraped. I of course thought that sucked ass but (back to good stuff) at the same time felt happy as hell that I had the one and a mill chance to work on a Bats series. Twas fun as hell!

This is one out of many things I've done for the show. Show yah more laters"

Direct Link:
http://kizer180.deviantart.com/art/D...age%3A8h&qo=15

So I guess this means this whole mysterious show has been cancelled, and we're back to the speculation drawing board...man, and it would have had Casssandra Cain/Batgirl too :(

---

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Discussion begins on Page 14 of the "Upcoming New "Batman" Animated Series News & Discussion Thread"

Bobbywoodhogan

I Will Find Him!
Wow I didn't know of this, it's such a shame that show didn't get made the designs are awesome

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Cool thanks for this, he kind of looks like a mix of "The Savage Time" Batman and also The Batbot from "The Batman" :)
Oh, yeah. I was reminded of the Beyond prototype suit.

Wow I didn't know of this, it's such a shame that show didn't get made the designs are awesome
Mm, hopefully Johnson will dish a little about this.

Dusty

Superman.
Oh, yeah. I was reminded of the Beyond prototype suit.

Mm, hopefully Johnson will dish a little about this.

I was just watching that episode of Batman Beyond like 2 hours ago, not realizing it until I saw the suit come on screen. Yeah I agree that design by Dave Johnson definitely looks a lot like Batman Beyond's batbot/prototype suit.

D.

Bat-Fan Beyond

Apparently this is concept art for a show that could have been done instead of Brave and The Bold. Kind of a No Man's Land deal that was rejected for being too dark. Somebody on another board quoted something to that effect from the artist. I think he deleted his explanation, but you can get the context from the comments.

Dark Knights by *CoranKizerStone on deviantART

I still really wish this was a Batman series we'd seen. I love this Coran Stone's stuff; Yeah, I know it goes against everything I've been saying lately about wanting to see more realistic designs and less cartoony ones on animated projects, but I really like Coran's style. By any chance, is he the designer of the DC Nation Shanghai Batman/Catwoman/Bane shorts? They have a very simlar dynamic.

RoryWilliams

There was also art from that Nightwing Pitch a few months back, wasn't there?
I've also seen art for a Justice League pitch from back in the 90's. Bruce Timm did some mock-ups for Vixen, the Question, Black Lightning, and a few others.

tumblr_lvb0pvgivR1qeenqto1_500.jpg

Interesting to note that Nightshade's costume looks almost exactly like Psylocke's 90's design...

Before Young Justice designs were released for a Nightwing animated show where the designs and animation were done by the same guy who did Legend of Korra.

You can find the concept art of Dick and Raven by just Googling "Nightwing animated concept art"

On a Podcast with Kevin Smith, Bruce Timm admits before Batman Beyond there was going to be a Batman series that would have been "Batman meets Power Rangers" that would have had a heavy anime influence.

RoryWilliams

On a Podcast with Kevin Smith, Bruce Timm admits before Batman Beyond there was going to be a Batman series that would have been "Batman meets Power Rangers" that would have had a heavy anime influence.

I think Timm also talked about this elsewhere and said it would've had a teen version of the Justice League. It all sounds awful, but I'd kill to see any concept art or pitch documents that were made up for this.

Ryoutarou

[Insert title]
I remember reading about a show WB wanted to do that was basically going to be "three kids compete to be the next Batman" and Bruce Timm hated that idea

Bobbywoodhogan

I Will Find Him!
Does anyone remember that design that was made by someone it was based on the Batman but it was the Superman? And he had a robot on the pic with him.

Weirdly I thought I had already asked this in here but my post seems to have disappeared

T

Thomas Perkins

Yeah, That was some Portfolio fodder I did while working on The Batman...

Does anyone remember that design that was made by someone it was based on the Batman but it was the Superman? And he had a robot on the pic with him.

Weirdly I thought I had already asked this in here but my post seems to have disappeared

Hey there. The work you are referring to was some fan art portfolio fodder I did while working on The Batman many years ago. I was just having a bit of fun drawing the Metropolis Guy since I had spent 3 seasons drawing the Gotham Guy. Somebody took it off my blog a few years back and made a bogus claim about it being the NEXT Superman cartoon (which was entirely False) and causing all sorts of generalized havoc over nothing more than my simple portfolio art. And now you know the rest of the story.

Cheers!

Thomas Perkins
Animation Character Designer
The Art of Thomas N. Perkins IV

Last edited by a moderator:

RoryWilliams

I remember reading about a show WB wanted to do that was basically going to be "three kids compete to be the next Batman" and Bruce Timm hated that idea

That would be the anime one I just mentioned. He said the pitch was that it'd be an anime set in the far future with three kids who become the future equivalents of Batman, Robin and Batgirl. Timm was happy about the idea but Kid's WB rejected it and asked if it could instead be about kids competing to be the next Batman, since they wanted the tone to be more like Pokemon.

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
Hey there. The work you are referring to was some fan art portfolio fodder I did while working on The Batman many years ago. I was just having a bit of fun drawing the Metropolis Guy since I had spent 3 seasons drawing the Gotham Guy. Somebody took it off my blog a few years back and made a bogus claim about it being the NEXT Superman cartoon (which was entirely False) and causing all sorts of generalized havoc over nothing more than my simple portfolio art. And now you know the rest of the story.

Cheers!

Thomas Perkins
Animation Character Designer
The Art of Thomas N. Perkins IV

Ah, very interesting.

Thanks for clearing that up and welcome aboard, Mr. Perkins!

Bat-Fan Beyond

I remember this was discussed before, but there was once an idea of doing a The Batman animated movie based on Jeph Loeb and Jim Lee's Hush comic run, but then it was dropped in favor of The Batman vs. Dracula. Anyone ever see anything more about that?

Hero Supreme

Mr Jinx No More
I remember this was discussed before, but there was once an idea of doing a The Batman animated movie based on Jeph Loeb and Jim Lee's Hush comic run, but then it was dropped in favor of The Batman vs. Dracula. Anyone ever see anything more about that?

Here is a link to some info. Hopefully Hush gets a fair treatment someday. DtV perhaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts