The Simpsons now unpopular?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiley207

I noticed that recently, the Simpsons is not as popular as it was around 10 years ago. I don't see as much Simpsons merchandise as I do of Family Guy or South Park, and many recent online polls say that people prefer SpongeBob or Family Guy over the Simpsons. Heck, when it comes to awards now, the Simpsons has often been losing to SpongeBob or South Park.

I know the quality of the show has declined, and that the only people that are like "It doesn't suck THAT much" are either people that have not watched the old episodes very often, or the die-hard fans. If it weren't for FOX being in it for the money, the Simpsons could be canceled very soon.

Any thoughts/opinions?

PowerZord

It's time to change.
It's been 20 years already, the fade and novelty have since wore off, but it's still very popular in the mainstream and internationally.

Online opinions are usually influenced by either:

A) Die-hard nostalgic fans of the Old seasons.

B) People who are in the bandwagon of Simpsons Vs Family Guy.

Of course it's not as popular as in the early 90's or when the movie premiered in 07, but that doesn't mean is down for the count, is just something you see and expect everyday. Is like: "Oh, the Simpsons again. nice." it's tradition, is normal to see them.

Doesn't have the novelty like Futurama: OMG Futurama new episodes! After so many centuries!"

Spongebob will soon join the same fate as the Simpsons. something Mainstream, part of our lives, nothing to get orgasmic about. As common as the Morning news.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
Any show that has run for as long as The Simpsons has is bound to fall out of favor with a good portion of the general public. Only the most devoted of fan is going to stick with a series after nearly 2 decades on the air.

Also, after a few years, things change. Writers leave the show. New writers are brought in. Voice actors leave (either they pass on, retire or get more lucrative jobs elsewhere) and the show has to change in order to accommodate these events. No show stays exactly as it was in it's heydey, especially after being on for more than 10 years.

chalmers

Role Model
Dude, you're seriously asking this question? All you need to do is head over to NoHomers, or sit around and wait for Jake(simpspin) to log on, and all your questions as to why The Simpsons isn't very popular anymore will be answered.

Or, you could just watch the episode that aired this past Sunday, but it's not advisable to do so.

Game Freak 4

TV Tropes is Ruining My Life!
And to think that the new generation would enjoy this series as much as the old. Or is Seth Macfarlane's work supposed to be the new generation?

FGfan

Umm, frankly, it shouldn't be hard to find people these days who think the show is way past its prime, pretty much the only people it appeals to these days are those who think it can do no wrong. My personal view is that it stopped being good after season 11, since then the show's just been so boring, not nearly as funny as it used to be, I did like the movie, but otherwise? This show's been way over its head for ten years. Season 12 is a particularly bad one, IMHO.

Not that it's worth bringing up on some sites, though, since those who think the show will never die will defend it to no end. Compared with South Park, which stays relevant to current events, Family Guy, which has cut back on the random flashbacks (which is pretty much what made it in the first place) and STILLL manages to be funny, etc. the show is just...gah, at least King of the Hill knew when to quit.

Rusakov

Or, you could just watch the episode that aired this past Sunday, but it's not advisable to do so.

I missed that particular episode. Could you give a breif description of it?

And to keep the thread on topic, I don't seem to find the Simpsons as funny as it used to be. Eventually shows run out of steam and the Simpsons might be the latest in the line.

Last edited by a moderator:

FGfan

I missed that particular episode. Could you give a breif description of it?

And to keep the thread on topic, I don't seem to find the Simpsons as funny as it used to be. Eventually shows run out of steam and the Simpsons might be the latest in the line.

The family travels with Flanders to Jerusalem. Homer is insensitive to the culture, until a tour gone wrong of the city convinces Homer that he's the Messiah.

Rusakov

The family travels with Flanders to Jerusalem. Homer is insensitive to the culture, until a tour gone wrong of the city convinces Homer that he's the Messiah.

Oh my goodness. :eek: I've seen dull episodes before but that just sounds terrible. I find it especially bad that Flanders has been reduced to such a two dimensional character.

simpspin

Dude, you're seriously asking this question? All you need to do is head over to NoHomers, or sit around and wait for Jake(simpspin) to log on, and all your questions as to why The Simpsons isn't very popular anymore will be answered.

To address you speculation, the show gets more popularity than it currently deserves. Outside the US the show still is very popular (profitable) but in the US, outside of a few speciality stores and DVD sets, there isn't much merchandise to buy.

It seems to be dipping in popularity as we speak.
Heck, the ratings keep on going down each new episode that airs.

If the ratings go down, the excuse is people download the episode, or because TV in general has falling ratings. If the ratings go up, the 'fans' say it's due to the show being as good as ever.

CyberCubed

I would think the insane wages for the voice actors is what will do the show in eventually.

Don't they keep demanding more money every 5 years?

CaptainHero

Save Yourselves!
. Compared with South Park, which stays relevant to current events, Family Guy, which has cut back on the random flashbacks (which is pretty much what made it in the first place) .

I'm sorry, but I honestly don't believe Family Guy has made any effort to cut down on random cutaways.

The Simpsons is still one of the most popular shows in the world, it might not be "schoolyard/watercooler talk" anymore but it definitely gets decent ratings and is still consistently one of the highest viewed syndicated programs.

I'm sure the merchandise is still selling like crazy as well. It's one of those things that will continue to be hugely popular like Charlie Brown or Bugs Bunny.

simpspin

I would think the insane wages for the voice actors is what will do the show in eventually.

Don't they keep demanding more money every 5 years?

The voice actors could get paid 5 times the money and the show would still make a cartoonload of profit. Remember, the big money is made through merchandising, not syndication or advertising revenue.

FGfan

I'm sorry, but I honestly don't believe Family Guy has made any effort to cut down on random cutaways.

The Simpsons is still one of the most popular shows in the world, it might not be "schoolyard/watercooler talk" anymore but it definitely gets decent ratings and is still consistently one of the highest viewed syndicated programs.

I'm sure the merchandise is still selling like crazy as well. It's one of those things that will continue to be hugely popular like Charlie Brown or Bugs Bunny.

You're exactly the kind of people I was talking about, I can't tell if you're just doing that to get attention, or if you're serious, but frankly, that's just what I was saying. Clearly you haven't watched Family Guy's more recent episodes, else you'd see what I'm talking about.

"Decent ratings?" Season 20 had two of the series' lowest rated episodes in the show's history, AND the first in history where Bart doesn't appear at all. This year, an episode managed to get an even LOWER rating. "Merchandise is selling like crazy?" Apart from jacked up World of Springfield merchandise online, have you seen the most recent sales for Simpsons toys (read: McFarlane's)? They gave up the license after only a couple years. Compared with Mezco, which is re-releasing older Family Guy figures, rather than have them be forever surrounded by an indestructible wall of scalpers.

Did you watch the most recent Family Guy episode? There weren't any cutaway gags at all. At a point that screamed "cutaway," it didn't happen - instead, it actually tied in to the plot.

ABrown

I've often said that with the run that The Simpsons put in its first ten seasons, The Simpsons definitely could make a claim for the greatest animated series of all time. However, the second decade of The Simpsons hasn't been anything the least bit spectacular. Is "unpopular" the right word for what The Simpsons currently is? I'd say that a more accurate term might be extremely "mediocre."

DarthGonzo

Fourteen Years!
Did you watch the most recent Family Guy episode? There weren't any cutaway gags at all. At a point that screamed "cutaway," it didn't happen - instead, it actually tied in to the plot.

If anything, just about all the episodes that have aired so far in 2010 have been some of the most plot-heavy and focused episodes in years. This especially true of the last three. And yes, the ratings of the past two seasons of the Simpsons have been abysmal. I think the only thing that helped season 21 do a little better than last season was the anniversary hype. And who still sees Simpsons merchandise? I don't.

Then again, Captainhero isn't shy about hating Family Guy.

CaptainHero

Save Yourselves!
If anything, just about all the episodes that have aired so far in 2010 have been some of the most plot-heavy and focused episodes in years. This especially true of the last three. And yes, the ratings of the past two seasons of the Simpsons have been abysmal. I think the only thing that helped season 21 do a little better than last season was the anniversary hype. And who still sees Simpsons merchandise? I don't.

Then again, Captainhero isn't shy about hating Family Guy.

Oh, please, I don't hate Family Guy.

I think the original 5 seasons were pretty hilarious television, I just believe the show has definitely decreased in quality, I know I'm not alone in my opinion either.

DarthGonzo

Fourteen Years!
Oh, please, I don't hate Family Guy.

I think the original 5 seasons were pretty hilarious television, I just believe the show has definitely decreased in quality, I know I'm not alone in my opinion either.

But again I ask, have you seen many episodes recently?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts