Could you see a television network buying the rights to use Toonami in the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul

Personally, this is one of the most probable "Resurrection" attempts I can see.

Say, a television network wants to start an action-cartoon block, who is head of the development of the block, fans OF Toonami.

Personally I could see it happening, ..just in at least the next 7 to 10 years though.

macattack

I see you!
Staff member
Reporter
Most likely not even though CN seems to no longer hold the trademark. Only possibility I can fathom is that Syfy (God I am not used to that spelling)'s hinted-at kids' block could theoretically be labeled Toonami.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
I could only really see Boomerang doing it.

Boomerang already has an action block "Boomeraction", and Toonami moving to Boomerang would serve little to no purpose, since Boom is available in so few homes that very few people would get to see it.

Even if a TV network bought the Toonami name, they would still need to acquire the old shows in order for it to be the "true" Toonami. Otherwise, it would be just like that fake Toonami that aired on Kids' WB years ago; it would be Toonami in name only and fans still wouldn't be satisfied. A program block is only as good as the shows that air on it.

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
Most likely not even though CN seems to no longer hold the trademark. Only possibility I can fathom is that Syfy (God I am not used to that spelling)'s hinted-at kids' block could theoretically be labeled Toonami.

Cartoon Network definitely does own the rights to the Toonami name and all of its' characters and such (TOM, SARA, The Absoultion, et al), but I don't see them selling it all off to a competitor so someone else could make money off of it.

Raidon Makoto

Long Live The Heroes
Cartoon Network definitely does own the rights to the Toonami name and all of its' characters and such (TOM, SARA, The Absoultion, et al), but I don't see them selling it all off to a competitor so someone else could make money off of it.
They're not making money off the brand, I wouldn't be surprised if they sold it if someone asked.

I think that there is a small likelihood that this may happen, but doubtful.

chdr

Instead of reviving dead blocks, networks should be trying to create new, original ideas.

It's not the name and packaging that matters, it should be the programming. When Akins and DeMarco started Toonami, they weren't trying to revive Afternoon Adventures or Power Zone or Sci-Fi Cartoon Quest or whatever, they were doing their own thing and creating something original.

Why can't others do the same now that Toonami is gone?

Sketch

not like those other old guys
Why would any other network buy the Toonami brand from Turner? There's no reason to do that. Especially since Toonami has lost what little respect the general public had for it by now.

Raidon Makoto

Long Live The Heroes
Why would any other network buy the Toonami brand from Turner? There's no reason to do that. Especially since Toonami has lost what little respect the general public had for it by now.
Lost respect? People are still paying their respects to Toonami everyday. Just look at the Toonami bumps on YouTube. There's a comment every day (if not every hour) mourning Toonami.

Shiloh Otter

Marion Hawthorne liker
Lost respect? People are still paying their respects to Toonami everyday. Just look at the Toonami bumps on YouTube. There's a comment every day (if not every hour) mourning Toonami.

Honestly, Toonami was dead to me in 2004.

Which is why that when they actually ended the block, I didn't care much.

Sketch

Youtube doesn't amount to the opinion of the general public however, just those people with a lot of time on their hands and some energy to expend.

Toonami in the mainstream has been dead since around 2006 but admitedly it kept a pretty large audience until a while after the last revamp in 2007.

You're letting your fanboyism blind you to the truth. Plenty of it's fans still adore Toonami and want it back but the general public doesn't give a crap and never will. Kids today deserve Toonami IMO but they're not going to ask for it because they don't know what it was and they don't care what it was either.

The people who pine for Toonami to return aren't in CN's demographic and thus CN doesn't care what they think.

The opinions of teens and older on YouTube mean jacksquat to Cartoon Network and any children's entertainment channel.

The two ways I see a Toonami revival possible would be A) Boomerang does it but it's just a block and B) Willaims Street gets nostalgic and brings it back in some manner as part of Adult Swim.

Master Toon

This question angers me and makes me confused. Even if Cartoon Network was willing to sell off the rights to the name, characters etc. who would buy it? Who would throw money down the drain on a failed experiment? Just like Blackstar said, they'd have to acquire the same old shows Toonami had which would range from difficult to impossible depending on the company who would acquires the rights.

Raidon Makoto

Long Live The Heroes
You're letting your fanboyism blind you to the truth. Plenty of it's fans still adore Toonami and want it back but the general public doesn't give a crap and never will. Kids today deserve Toonami IMO but they're not going to ask for it because they don't know what it was and they don't care what it was either.
You said 'general public,' I assumed that meant multiple demographics. And I wouldn't say that it lost its respect with the general public, I'd say that Toonami became mute, and the public forgot about it. I agree with you, definitely, that kids today deserve Toonami.

However, Toonami's influence still extends into today (as evidenced by the fact that we're still here, the YouTube thing, etc).
This question angers me and makes me confused. Even if Cartoon Network was willing to sell off the rights to the name, characters etc. who would buy it? Who would throw money down the drain on a failed experiment? Just like Blackstar said, they'd have to acquire the same old shows Toonami had which would range from difficult to impossible depending on the company who would acquires the rights.
Toonami wasn't a failed experiment. It was killed by the executives. BIG difference.

Sketch

You said 'general public,' I assumed that meant multiple demographics. And I wouldn't say that it lost its respect with the general public, I'd say that Toonami became mute, and the public forgot about it. I agree with you, definitely, that kids today deserve Toonami.

However, Toonami's influence still extends into today (as evidenced by the fact that we're still here, the YouTube thing, etc).

Toonami wasn't a failed experiment. It was killed by the executives. BIG difference.

Why would I mean multiple demographics when pratically no channel cares about multiple demographics?

The general public that cared for the action shows Toonami aired grew up and moved on to Adult Swim and while they don't offer much today they do offer that crowd something to watch on Saturday nights.

I'll never disvalue Toonami's influence on the industry but its influence as of today has ended and the industry will forget all about the once great block Toonami. That's just how television works no need to fight it.

And that last sentence... hard to say anything about it that wont make me look like a jerk so I wont but honestly rust your obsession is getting unhealthy. Executives did kill off Toonami but did you ever consider the possibility that the overall package wasn't holding up anymore? I don't think Naruto was in bad shape but the rest probably was hence why Naruto stuck around after Toonami went off the air.

I'm not saying you're entirely wrong but you're twisting what you have right to attempt to better prove your point which just plain rubs me the wrong way. Passion is a good thing, too much is a very bad thing.

Raidon Makoto

Long Live The Heroes
Why would I mean multiple demographics when pratically no channel cares about multiple demographics?
Wishful thinking, I suppose...

And that last sentence... hard to say anything about it that wont make me look like a jerk so I wont but honestly rust your obsession is getting unhealthy. Executives did kill off Toonami but did you ever consider the possibility that the overall package wasn't holding up anymore? I don't think Naruto was in bad shape but the rest probably was hence why Naruto stuck around after Toonami went off the air.

I'm not saying you're entirely wrong but you're twisting what you have right to attempt to better prove your point which just plain rubs me the wrong way. Passion is a good thing, too much is a very bad thing.
o_0

That's a bit out of left field. I think we both agree that the Executives had it in for Toonami. Yes, the final line-up was weak, but only because the Executives had it in for Toonami (remember, we had the Double Naruto, One Piece, and DBZ line-up before the crappy final line-up, and you said it yourself, it was arguably one of Toonami's best line-ups). I don't think that its an obsession (much less an unhealthy obsession) to use this fact as a reason to disprove Toonami being classified as a "Failed Experiment."

Jeff Harris

Creator/Webmaster, TXB
No, I don't see that happening.

Networks tend to want to create their own brands, not use something owned by other parties. Heck, one could pose the same question to something like Jetix (Disney), Animation Station (Sci Fi), Miguzi, SVES, Power Zone, Super Adventures (Cartoon Network), Slam (Nickelodeon), Made in Japan (ABC Family), Action Zone (CBS) or Action Theater (FOX). All good action blocks, I might add. The only one to even compare with value of the Toonami brand is Jetix, which is also in disuse in the world to the point of total extinction (also, Jetix extended to successful 24-7 networks worldwide). I don't see anybody in this country licensing the Toonami brand for a new block or network aside from the brand's owners.

Toonami's gone, my friends. It was fun, but I can't see it coming back on a third-party network in any form.

Rho

12 - 6 cloud?
You know what I think?

Air older Toonami reruns on Boomerang, replacing "Boomeraction".

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
You know what I think?

Air older Toonami reruns on Boomerang, replacing "Boomeraction".

But again, it wouldn't be the Toonami that you remember fondly, as Cartoon Network has since lost the broadcasting rights to Sailor Moon, Tenchi Muyo!, Dragon Ball/DBZ, Outlaw Star, Trigun, etc. Turner can only air the shows that are available to them, and the block would just be a renamed Boomeraction.

Sketch

Depends on what you consider the Toonami you know and love as some people would be thrilled if Boomerang aired The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest, Voltron, Thundercats and the Roulete which is the entire original Toonami slate. Which is the first Toonami line-up. Slap the old Toonami packaging on that and you've got a sweet revival.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts