Legion of Super Heroes "Dark Victory, Parts 1 - 2" Series Finale Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate this episode

• ***1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Victory? Victory you say?

• Total voters

The Penguin

Mod of Fowl Play
Staff member
Discuss the two-part Legion of Super Heroes series finale.
https://dcanimated.com//WF/losh/

Episode #25: Dark Victory, Part 1
Original Airdate - March 29th, 2008
As Imperiex sets in motion one final assault designed to bring him control of the galaxy, Brainiac 5 must fight for control of himself as the ancient programming of Brainiac 1.0 emerges.

Episode #26: Dark Victory, Part 2
Original Airdate - April 5th, 2008 - Second Season Finale/Series Finale
After eliminating Imperiex, Brainiac 5 takes over his army and plans to conquer the universe. With Superman presumed dead, the other Legionnaires must stop him before it is too late.

Comments?

Wow great episode, Season 2 has done nothing but claim a spot in one of the best animated superhero shows in history to date, and its been canceled. Unbelievable, I only wish the CN would pick it up, or fox box, I really enjoyed this episode specially that surprise ending with Clark dieing, very nice very touching, and Braniac 1.0 i pretty freaking cool. I just hope that he ends up a hero or redeeming his character , but we'll see.

CyberCubed

Wow, a very good episode!

I'm surprised to see Imperiex killed off like that. I hope that's the end of him and we don't see him next week.

I won't believe Superman is dead though. Every time Superman "dies" he always comes back, so I expect him to return next week. Still a brutal way to see him finished off though.

ROBOTRON

100% Pure Robot!
:D - 4 1/2 Stars

New high water mark for this series.

Less syrupy sappiness, much more serious.

Deeper more dark.

They way a comic book adaptation should be. Makes you excited to see next week's episode. Bravo.

Well if you guys saw the screen caps for next week, then you would have noticed Superman's coffin being thrown into the sun,a YELLOW SUN, the source of his energy, that will be how he is resurrected. And Im happy Imperiex was killed like that, and im glad he's dead.

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
Question: since Imperiex has *apparently* been killed in the 31st century, wouldn't that mean that he never comes to power in the power in the 41st century, and therefore wouldn't that then negate everything that's happened up to this point? If Imperiex is truly dead, then both he and Superman X should cease to exist (because no Imperiex means no threat for Superman X to have been created to stop) and all of the subsequent events (half the Legion getting decimated, Saturn Girl's being put in a coma, losing Triplicate White, Superman X's creation and traveling to the 31st century, Brainiac 5's betrayal) should have never happened in the first place.

Gah, time travel stories give me a headache. :sweat:

warnerbroman

first the shreeder rises

then megatron rises

and next is brainiac! man this is a good saturday!

Why is this show ending!!!!?

Kell-el: Itachi was to be mine!

ROBOTRON

100% Pure Robot!
Question: since Imperiex has *apparently* been killed in the 31st century, wouldn't that mean that he never comes to power in the power in the 41st century, and therefore wouldn't that then negate everything that's happened up to this point? If Imperiex is truly dead, then both he and Superman X should cease to exist (because no Imperiex means no threat for Superman X to have been created to stop) and all of the subsequent events (half the Legion getting decimated, Saturn Girl's being put in a coma, losing Triplicate White, Superman X's creation and traveling to the 31st century, Brainiac 5's betrayal) should have never happened in the first place.

:sweat: - Hmmmmmmm...good points raised there. Perhaps they'll fix it next week. I can already see Superman is not
DEAD permanently...from the previews they showed, he is coffined and sent flying into the yellow sun...his main source of energy. So he'll be back next week.

No, no! You see, just because he has been destroyed here it does not mean that in the show's timeline he has been prevented from existing. The present and future are not affected because technically, the future is in the past. Episodes 2.1 and 2.2 happened in the past, not in the future, for example.

Well no, because although Imperiex is killed in the past, it is till considered his future. And by him not going into the past then that would mean that the legion would most likely not have prepared for him in the future, and that would mean that the preparation of Superman X would not have been done in order to ensure the safety of the future. Now what your saying would be true if and only if the Legion were to travel to the future and Kill Imperiex any moment before the moment he goes to the past, but not at the same time as the Legion seeing themselves in the same time as the events of the first ep of this season because could actually cause a rip in the Space Time Continuum, and destroy time stream itself (compliments of Doc Brown). So the Legion would have to actually travel forward through time somewhere before the events in the 1st ep of the season.

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
Jacob T. Pascal said:
No, no! You see, just because he has been destroyed here it does not mean that in the show's timeline he has been prevented from existing. The present and future are not affected because technically, the future is in the past. Episodes 2.1 and 2.2 happened in the past, not in the future, for example.

Well no, because although Imperiex is killed in the past, it is till considered his future. And by him not going into the past then that would mean that the legion would most likely not have prepared for him in the future, and that would mean that the preparation of Superman X would not have been done in order to ensure the safety of the future. Now what your saying would be true if and only if the Legion were to travel to the future and Kill Imperiex any moment before the moment he goes to the past, but not at the same time as the Legion seeing themselves in the same time as the events of the first ep of this season because could actually cause a rip in the Space Time Continuum, and destroy time stream itself (compliments of Doc Brown). So the Legion would have to actually travel forward through time somewhere before the events in the 1st ep of the season.

Ah, OK. Missed that tiny detail. Thanks, guys.

ROBOTRON said:
I can already see Superman is not Spoiler:
DEAD permanently...from the previews they showed, he is coffined and sent flying into the yellow sun...his main source of energy. So he'll be back next week.

That technique was previously employed in the Super Powers Team: Galactic Guardians episode "The Death of Superman".

Jack Frenzy

Monkey-King-in-Training
Good action episode, and they managed to squeeze in a few more Legionnaire appearances in the group shot:

Chemical King and Dawnstar.

One nit-pick: how did Superman remember about Brainiac 1.0 after having his memories of the Kandor mission erased? Easily explained though. After that mission Brainy probably opened up and revealed a few of his secrets to him.

Manhunter

Super-Tech Cat Ninja Guy
I set my VCR to tape it this morning. Gotta check it out later.

Anybody else get a "crown of thorns" vibe off of Brainy's Kryptonite headband?

creativerealms

Because of timetravel The Imperiex who died takes place after the one who took over the 41st centery. That It is his future self, in the past.

Nightwing

WF Old Man

Totally. I don't understand how people can think that no matter what the type of time travel sci-fi involved, someone could go back in time and die, and never exist in their time as a result.

That technique was previously employed in the Super Powers Team: Galactic Guardians episode "The Death of Superman".

Yes, although I don't believe there was a coffin at the time.

Superman was accidentally exposed to a mountain of Kryptonite on a very foreign planet, and Firestar blamed himself for not being there for him. It effected him so much his skin turned green and his arms were set crossed against his chest in a peculiar manner. The team put him in the sun as a final resting place, but what they later found out through some Superman research and personal log files on how to deal with Kryptonite was he had put himself in a Kryptonian trance to slow his vitals and withstand the kryptonite poisoning for a slightly extended time. They then went back to the sun to rescue him.

I did not, but only because I'm more Superman conscious than I am religious writings conscious. The first thing I thought of was how that headband could easily and efficiently kill him, and it would start off by stinging A LOT. It was a very ingenius use of Kryptonite, which was only ONE example in the episode of how Evil Brainiac was so spot on. Excellent job all around.

I got one or two "The Batman" vibes where things are laid out but then are explained very shortly after and very quickly, adding some redundancy, but it's cool. Lots of fun was to be had, even though much of it was predictable. But as I said about Spectacular Spiderman, that's only because of my previous knowledge. The execution is what matters, and there was fun to be had all around.

limel

That's EXACTLY what I thought when I first saw it.

Thinking a bit more deeply into it, Superman could represent Jesus in this: He is tortured[Kryptonite Headband/Crown of Thorns], dies, and gets resurrected a couple days later.

What a coincidence that this finale is aired just a week after Holy Week/Easter!

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.

Featured Posts